Moving the system partition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving the system partition

Ok, I've managed to reassembly my poor PC and installed the new disk.

I've partitioned and copied over it the partitions from my old HD, but now I've got a problem.
    Since the drive is faster than the older, I'd like to move the system partition too.

I've copied it with Ghost, so no problem on this. But:
    1) I can't assign letter C to the partition 'cause is already used.
    2) I can't remove letter C from old system partition, because is system partition
    3) If I boot from the new disk, it boot normally. But after login it start executing cryptoapi.dll and saving settings for a long time.

?_?
    Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

I feel your pain Drizzzt, just finished migrating 7 partitions to a new hard drive with dual/boot win98 and xppro (using Driveimage instead of Ghost) . Had a fight cause it screwed all my drive lettering up and wouldn't let me change the drive letter of the xp system partition. This page helped me to fix the drive letter issues:

http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=108

Used the fixboot command and some editting of the boot.ini to get everything humming... but I do remember it being not to much fun.
    Alcohol and Drugs make life tolerable.

Comment

Is there something already on your new c: drive?
      Cant you just boot gohst from a flopy/CD and copy the image that way?
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Even with the correct procedures (that is a pretty good guide) this is NOT a good idea. Windows will just make your life a living hell over this.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

yeah, Win2k and XP marks the hdd's with it's preferred drive letter
          Have had my run ins with that Great feature
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Okay, I'm hitting the exact same problem.

How do I get this to work?

I've tried running
            FIXMBR
            FIXBOOT
            BOOTCFG /REBUILD

but the computer still hangs unless the old system drive is in the machine.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I have had a problem with my 60 gigs IBM, system HD, partitioned in 2 logical units.
              After an unlucky power blackout the HD crashed, loosing the partition. Strange.
              Anyway I tried to repartition it in 2x50% units as before. FDISK didn't work.
              I tried the FDISK /MBR trick without luck.
              Tried the IBM HD Fitness to remove the MBR. It didn't recognize the HD as IBM made. Strange.
              After a half a day I found a new IBM HD Fitness which could remove the MBR (it writes zeros on it)
              Now everything went ok.
              Maybe my story helps in some way.
              I did learn that not all FixMBRs work. The Boot sector must be zeroed out.
              Edited:
              Oh, yes, I ghosted back the system without problem.
              I ghosted the same system to a smaller HD too, but I run SCANDISK to fix the different free space on the smaller HD.

Fred H
              Last edited by Fred H; 31 January 2004, 17:01.
              It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
              ------------------------------------------------

Comment

I just thought I'd come back and report on how I finally got this to work.

I ghosted over my main partition to the new drive, but Windows wouldn't boot without my old drive around. It was <I>using</I> the new drive (it was my H drive, and the system drive), but wouldn't boot without the old C attached.

Here's what finally worked:
                * Did the Ghost.
                * removed my old drive.
                * Used my slipstream CD to do an installation/repair. (and it said it was repairing a C:\WINDOWS install).
                * XP finally booted on just the new drive, but it STILL thought it was H.
                * Used Anand's registry trick to edit the drive letters.
                * XP once again would NOT boot.
                * Did another install/repair.

Finally have the new drive as C, and happy.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Just a similar question, but not exactly:
                  I plan to build a new PC.
                  Is there any way to re-ghost another system to a new one?
                  I mean the old is AMD based, the new will be P4.
                  Is it too wild to think about it?
                  Fred H

Comment

It's not too wild, but when I did it, I had to deltree the windows directory to get things working right. Nothing got the HAL working quite right until I did that.

Comment

Thanks. Beter to clean install, anyway.

Fred H

Comment

Working...
                      X