Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making mirror of HDD in XP rig without RAID?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making mirror of HDD in XP rig without RAID?

The boss just gave me a new assignment.
    He wants me to set up 2 of his PCs (both running XPpro) to run mirrored drives. Niether rig has RAID, but both are running 2 HDDs on the standard IDE ports of the mobo. He wants to protect his data, in case one drive fails.
    I just checked the MS knowledge base, and it tells me that you cannot run mirrored drives in XP, like you could in NT and some versions of 2k.

Any suggestions?
    One possibility would be to set up a backup prog to periodically back up the primary drive onto the secondary, but I would preffer to do some kind of mirroring, to save the hassle of restoring the backup, if the primary ever croaks...
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Seriously? Err... I could have sworn it worked just like in Win2k. Right-click, pick mirror. Hmm.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Microsoft support is here to help you with Microsoft products. Find how-to articles, videos, and training for Microsoft Copilot, Microsoft 365, Windows, Surface, and more.

You cannot create mirrored volumes on computers that are running Windows XP Home Edition, Windows XP Professional or Windows XP 64-Bit Edition. However, you can use a computer that is running Windows XP Professional to create mirrored volumes on remote computers that are running Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Advanced Server, or Windows 2000 Datacenter Server. You must have administrative privileges on the remote computer to do this.
      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

If you want real time mirroring, looks like you'll need a PCI IDE RAID card. If you just want scripted mirroring, you can try the robocopy utility that's found in the w2k server resource kit. It can mirror directories (and probably entire disks) from the command line.
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Bleh. That sucks.

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          I would still get screwed

Comment

Seriously? Err... I could have sworn it worked just like in Win2k. Right-click, pick mirror. Hmm.
            hmm... its not there is it....
            The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Working...
            X