SiS Announces 748 Chipset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SiS Announces 748 Chipset

TAIPEI, TAIWAN, Mar. 12, 2003 – Silicon Integrated Systems Corp. (SiS), a leading supplier of core logic and graphics chipsets, today unveiled its latest AMD core logic chipset, the SiS748. SiS748, a top-of-the-line core logic chipset for the AMD™ K7 platform, is the first AMD™ chipset on the market to support front-side bus 400MHz.

The SiS748 is the first of its kind to support functions such as 400MHz front-side bus, highly effective DDR400, AGP8X interface, SiS MuTIOL® 1G and the advanced HyperStreamingTM technology. It is the only AMD™ platform chipset equipped with these top specifications in the current market.

Supporting front-side bus 400MHz and high-speed DDR400 system memory, the SiS748 dramatically increases the data transfer bandwidth and fully exploits the performance of the synchronization of the system and the memory clocks. The SiS748 not only provides a better AMD™ platform for users, but also brings power to deliver higher levels of PC performance by taking advantage of FSB 400MHz technology with AMD™ processor.

“Being the first to capture the full power of both FSB 400MHz and DDR400, the SiS748 exemplifies the unwavering position that SiS has on the AMD™ platform technology.” said Michael Chen, the President of SiS. “ It is our commitment to continuously provide products with pioneering specifications that help create a competitive product mix to meet the needs of our valuable customers.”

The SiS748 is paired with the South Bridge SiS963L, which features MuTIOL® 1G technology, USB 2.0/1.1, Dual ATA133/100/66 IDE Channels, 5.1 Channel AC’97 Audio, 10/100Mb Ethernet and Home PNA2.0. The MuTIOL® 1G is an SiS proprietary technology with 1GB/sec transfer speed and bi-directional 16-bit data bus at 533MHz operating speed, allowing a seamless bridge between the North Bridge and South Bridge. Utilizing SiS’s MuTIOL® 1G technology, SiS748 and SiS963L combination provides the widest data bandwidth yet to achieve high-transfer-rate requirement.
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Good thing I didn't rush out to nab that 746FX, huh?

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Yeah, but how long will the wait be before we start seeing the boards using this chip set.

Comment

Knowing the market, within a month or less. The big dogs like Asus, MSI, etc proabably already have working prototypes.

Jammrock
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

might be the reason we never ever saw any 746fx mobos....
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Probably. Or why the only one we did see was from ECS, IIRC.

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            I would still get screwed

Comment

Both MSI and Iwill have announced 746FX based boards and there's someone on the AMD Forums who has the Iwill one, so they are out there, just
              When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Excellent. ALways nice to see more solid chipsets supporting AMD.

Comment

Damn when is the Iwill Board coming out?
                  no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

The ASROCK board is out as well. Available in the UK too. I am considering getting one as I think the 748 boards will be a long time getting out.
                    [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                    Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                    Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                    Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                    Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Woohoo, the chip I've been waiting for

and by the time it comes out I should have enough money for the upgrade.
                      Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
                        Excellent. ALways nice to see more solid chipsets supporting AMD.
                        solid...as in slow but stable?

Comment

Yeah, "solid". Which is good. Are you hinting you'd want to drive the PC equivalent of a motorbike with slick tires on ice
                          Meet Jasmine.
                          flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

I'm no farmer driving his mega monster truck with 20 blades 10inches in the mud. Speedwise I'd choose the bike as Im' confident in my ability to drive it

Stability is good, but face it: SIS chipsets are slow. Period. I'm very glad they have a good PCI implementation blah blah but for performance, look elsewhere.

Nvidia is getting better at chipset stuff and that's *GOOD* for AMD who is stuck with cheap/underperforming chipsets or not so cheap and mightily buggy VIA stuff. nForce 1 was a first step, nForce2 took the speed crown, maybe nForce3 will be the perfect fast/bugfree chipset.

Anyway, I'm not a Nvidia fan but give them credit for what they've achieved so far. SIS released the 735 cheapset then basically didn't improve it much, VIA tweaked theirs a lot but they still can't write drivers. Nvidia released an expensive part that was buggy but then fixed/is fixing it. Prices have come down a lot, you can buy some AMD Assured kits with Asus mobos based on nForce 220 chipset -meaning they ARE stable (at least as sold).

IMO SIS is just disappointing. They just end-up in ultracheap configs. If I really want stability, I use Intel (business customers rather buy Intel than SIS-AMD too...).

VIA is outta here. We've completely stopped using products based on their chipsets (did I say I _just_ received a reply to an e-mail I've sent to them about product availability in Jan. 2002? well...that's support for you! ). Nforce2 is happily supplanting them in performance and SOHO and Intel ans SIS for business and cheap whiteboxes. I guess they _need_ the video market now...

Comment

With PCI lock and .13 micron process, it may be easier to OC SIS746FX/SIS748 than the NForce2 without Voltmod to crazy FSB's...
                              Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X