Cleaning up a PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning up a PC

I were doing a bit of cleaning up over files onto my storage disk, when I noticed I have tons of old drivers and the like still saved here and there.
    So I've remembered that this Win2k machine hasn't been formatted since two year now...and I don't want to format it for another year at last!

So, I was thinking...What if I
    - download all the updated drivers I need
    - remove all the .inf from WinNT\Inf directory
    - copy all the original .inf from WinNt Installation CD
    - remove all the hardware from control panel/system
    - reboot
    - reinstall everything?

And, even more, is there a safe way of removing all the hardware infos from the registry?
    Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Also get regcleaner. Helps a lot!!!

Comment

Theoretically yes, practically I'm looking into reformat myself in the next few days.

Reinstall takes a few hours if you're versed and if you know exactly which local polcies to implement and services to disable and you know drivers you're going to install work. (Latest is not always the most stable).

Edit, sorry edited wrong thread.
      Last edited by UtwigMU; 12 March 2003, 19:21.

Comment

bah! in the time it'd take you to do all that, i'd just reinstall.
        I tend to do it every few months as i go through a lot of hardware and XP soon starts to get clogged up.

Reinstalling takes no more than 2hours
        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I troubleshoot mainly for learning factor, reimaging is much less time consuming.

Comment

I know that reinstalling Windows 2K can take no more than two hours.
            Ok.

Plus a couple of day to reinstall all the other programs and packages
            Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

2 hrs!!!
              If I haven't got WinXP, all drivers and a fully patched installation of Office XP installed within an hour then I'm doing something very wrong.
              It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
              Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

It takes me around 2hours to get my computer usable (read install all apps that i use daily)
                The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Takes me five minutes to get my machine usable again with just 30 more at most to make it just so. Of course that's what ghost and a second hard drive are for.

Added:
                  This is very good when attempting some potentially dangerous software changes. :^)

Plus a list of things to do does help:

Basics:
                  1. Install 98 second edition.
                  2. Install Winzip and register.
                  3. Install Via Bus Master Drivers.
                  4. Setup Drive Letters.
                  5. Install and setup network. (XXXX,XXXX,XXXX)
                  6. Install AGP Miniport Drivers.

Additional Drivers and System Settings:
                  7. Install Asus V7700 Deluxe Drivers and Software.
                  8. Install Monitor Driver., set Resolution to 1600x1200x16bit and activate Quickres on Taskbar.
                  9. Install Win98 Service Packs and Updates, install Win98 Security Updates, and install I.E. 5.5 SP2. (Web based FTP view, turn off auto-updates, turn off notify when downloads complete, turn off reuse windows for launching shortcuts, turn off show friendly http error messages, uncheck show internet explorer on the desktop, Just display the results in the main menu, check emprty temporary internet files folder when browser is closed)
                  10. Install Sun Java.
                  11. Install SBLive Drivers only and disable "Allow Interupt Sharing"and put volume control is on the taskbar.
                  12. Install DirectX 8.1b.
                  13. Install and update Adaptec EasyCD creator.
                  14. Point swap file to E:\ and set to 2GB.
                  15. Small Icons on Task Bar.
                  16. Setup folder options. (Make sure default view is detailed.)
                  17. Remove Quickstart Bar.
                  18. Set power management to none.
                  19. Set default network logon to Windows Logon.
                  20. Install and set Cacheman. (32,768, 65,536 disk cache, network style name caching, and optimize cd-rom for 24x CD-ROM)
                  21. Install Intellipoint 3.2. (Set mouse to Intellimouse with Intellieye.)
                  22. Install Power Toys including sendto toys.

Non-essential Utilities:
                  23. Install Irfanview and plugins. (Associate with all images.)
                  24. Install Adobe Acrobat.
                  25. Install Winamp and related plugins and skins.
                  26. Install DBPowerAmp Converter and codecs.
                  27. Install Quicktime6 (Only install with associations for Quicktime Video.)
                  28. Install Realone player. (Only install with associations for Real Audio and Real Video.)
                  29. Install free Divx Codec.
                  30. Set up start menu.
                  31. Make toolbars.
                  32. MSConfig.
                  33. Get quicktime and Flash 6.
                  34. Playback volume control panel (Play Control, CD Audio, Line-In, Auxilary, Wave/DirectSound/MP3, MIDI, CD Digital)
                  35. Recording volume control panel (Line-In, Microphone, Auxillary, CD Digital, What U Hear)

Post Ghost:
                  36. Setup email.
                  37. Restore Favorites.
                  38. Distributed processing program.
                  39. Theme.
                  Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 13 March 2003, 19:47.

Comment

Working...
                  X