X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooler

Opinions about this:

?
    Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

That's what I've got right now. I really like it. I've got the potentiometer hooked up to it, and I've turned the fan down to about 3000 rpms, so that it's inaudible over the power supply's fan. If I crank the fan to full speed, I could lose about another 4C off the CPU temp, but I don't need it - I'm at 13C above case temp right now.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

What's the quietest fan available that can cool a 2000+?

I'm using a 7+ at the moment, thinking about getting a Zalman though.
      Meet Jasmine.
      flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

If you want quiet, you're probably going to need your own shroud, and a large fan.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I'm cooling my 2000+ with a Thermalright AX-7 (an SLK-800 would work even better) with a Panaflo L1A (~1900 rpm). It does the job quite well and rather quietly. If this is not quiet enough, you can always run the Panaflo at about 7 or 8 volts... with a good heatsink and good case airflow I'm sure you can still get away with it.

Comment

Doing some searching after my Celeron post I found several reviews saying that the Coolermaster HAC-V81 is really quiet, but it only does a decent cooling job. Definitely not for overclockers, but for those that have noise at a higher priority it does a great job. Also it costs $18 at newegg. Coolermaster also has a newer HSC-V83 that is supposed to be just llke the V81, except using skivied fins.

Thien
            Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
            Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

I always think those big ass mofo Swiftie and Alpha with a Papst or Panaflo 80mm low rpm fan should have the best cooling/quietness ratio... if money is no object.

Well actually, you can buy the ThermalTake Aqurius II water cooling kit for very cheap now.
              P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
              Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
              And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

I love my Zalman HSF. The only problem is that the mountain bracket for the fan is a PITA. It also makes removing cards difficult and you cannot use them on dualie boards.

Having sad all that, I have forgot to connect the fan a few times and i have enver had problems... the HS is very good
                The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Another happy TT Volcano 9 user.
                  The fan actually tops at ~5200 rpm and personally I can tolerate it up to 4800 rpm (the speed I have it at now).
                  As for temperature, my TBred tops 45-48C depending how hot is in the room.
                  Also, I have a sucky midtower case and the cooler is only a couple cm away from the PSU, so there's additional heat comming from it.

(time to change case methinks )

Comment

And another happy Zalman copper flower user - very very quiet (my HDD is the noisest thing in my system these days) and more than adequately cools my (TBred) AthlonXP 2000+
                    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Zalman all the way on a 2200 xp here, one hot mother of a chip though, the PC i bought came with a coolermaster which sounded like a hoover and kept it at 62 degrees, my zalman is silent and temp is now 58 degrees, i can get it to about 50 with the zalman fan at full speed.
                      is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
                      Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

currently I'm using the tornado -- moves 17 cubic feet of air per min. Not bad, and also pretty quiet I'm happy with it.

~Sethos
                        "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

I use a monster alpha cooler with a sweet little fan I ripped out of a PSU....runs on the low voltage line of a HD power connector. The alpha came with a Delta - stupidly noisy!!

I dont have the figures to hand... but a 1800+ XP processor runs sweet for almost a year (I think it was about 42-44 range) (the FSB is tweaked up just a little)

I cant hear that fan.... even when running with the case off sometimes...

(The PSU
                          RedRed
                          Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

That said - the PC sits near my server (a twin celleron 466 (BP6 fame) @520, there are fans everywhere on it! I cant hear ANYTHING when its been on full load for a while - think I need a new set of HS for that one.... ( I was thinking of a copper bar between both procs with a single BIG HS braised on..... ) Maybe I should drop the speed back down too.....
                            Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Uhmmm...A bit OT, but not that much: I've got an ECS K7VTA3, and I'd like to monitor CPU and system temp in Win2k. Is there any program that does this? (only this, a small proggie).
                              Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

Working...
                              X