Dixons Ditches The Cube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dixons Ditches The Cube

The massive UK retail organisation will no longer stock Nintendo's console when initial supplies run out

The Dixons group has confirmed it is to stop stocking Nintendo's GameCube console, after weeks of mounting speculation. The group, which comprises Dixons, Currys, PC World and Link stores, will no longer have the console at retail once initial supplies are exhausted.
    This shock information was revealed in a leaked memo from PC World, which states: "Due to the continued poor sales on GameCube we are beginning to take our first steps to clear out the format."

And a spokesperson for Dixons earlier backed this up, telling us: "We can confirm that Dixons is to stop stocking GameCube hardware."

Dixons currently has GameCube on special offer at the ultra-low price of £99 plus one free game (Luigi's Mansion, Eternal Darkness, Disney's Magical Mirror, Wave Race or Pikmin), with all GameCube games going for a song at £25 each as the group tries to clear out stock. Furthermore, buy Pikmin, Burnout, Crazy Taxi and a third-party steering wheel and you'll get a free GameCube.

Nintendo unsurprisingly went into damage-limitation mode earlier today, a statement reading: "Dixons represents a small share of Nintendo's business, and we are continuing to actively trade with them. GameCube is currently available in 4500 stockists across the UK including HMV, Toys R Us, GAME, Virgin Megastore, Argos, and Woolworths."

But as one retail source put it: "The Dixons group is the biggest seller of console hardware in the UK," this move may hurt Nintendo more than it wishes to admit. The Dixons Group's decision has been met with surprise by industry watchers, however, with several believing it to be a rather premature move, with GameCube still relatively early in its life cycle, in theory, and a broad range of big-name titles already announced for 2003.

"Dixons will presumably want to push GBA SP heavily when released, so it seems a little odd for the company to take this stance with Nintendo," one source told us. "But it's potentially great news for other GameCube retailers now that the major player is pulling support."

Potential buyers have several great offers to choose from, and current owners shouldn't worry too much, with exclusive titles like Zelda: The Wind Waker, Metroid Prime and Resident Evil 0 all on the way. But the alarm bells are certainly ringing for Nintendo, as hardware sales continue to fall behind Xbox and PS2 in the UK. All eyes are now on the rest of UK retail, to see if other chains follow Dixons' lead - we'll keep you fully updated.

looks like aother dreamcast to me

Nintendo needs to release MORE games, if not then I doubt it will survive for very long.
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Yeah. And stop delaying the ones that are due.

It's sad really. The gamecube is the best of the three systems. Best hardware, best graphics, best controllers, best everything.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

I noticed that all Gamecube games in Dixons are now around the £25 mark down from their usual £35 - £40. Didn't know if that was a general fall in prices or specific to Dixons.

Comment

Yeah, Gamecube is a bit low on games at the moment. Only games I have right now are Super Smash Bros, Metroid Prime, and Zelda (one on N64). I rented Turok, but that game (and I hate to say it) just sucked. Eternal Darkness was pretty cool, but I didn't think it was cool enough to buy. I'm getting Zelda for the Gamecube when it comes out, but the whole cartoony look of it will turn off a lot of Zelda fans...
          System Specs:
          Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
          May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
          Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
          And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
          just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
          For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

The problem (or not, depends on how you see it) is that Nintendo always did the best games for their consoles themselves, still do and probably ever will. These (of course exclusive games) are a prime reason for people to buy their consoles (especially in JP, or so i hear).
            Still I hoped they'd learn from the N64 and get more 3rd Party Developers on Board with the GC.
            no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

young children here get gamecube, big kids (read adults) get the ps2, and with more rumours of ps3 floating around...

oh and no-body here buys an x-box
              Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Well, I have to agree with thop. The only reason I bought a Gamecube was because of games like Metroid and Zelda which won't be on any other platform. I mean I grew up with Nintendo, can't stop now.
                System Specs:
                Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
                May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
                Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
                And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
                just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
                For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

And they still have not relreased Mario Kart for the gamecube

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman
                    And they still have not relreased Mario Kart for the gamecube
                    Hopefully it should be really soon. I want it!

Comment

Mario Sunshine is the world's BEST GAME SO FAR.

Zelda... I thought I'd be turned off by the cell shading, but after watching the demo on the Ocarina DVD... I'm convinced I'll love it.

- Gurm
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

My son is DYING to get Wind Walker. It comes out 2 days before his birthday, so good timing.
                        "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Originally posted by Byock
                          My son is DYING to get Wind Walker. It comes out 2 days before his birthday, so good timing.
                          I'm your son right? j/k

I'm not dying to get it but I do want it!
                          Last edited by ZokesPro; 13 March 2003, 09:52.

Comment

That's "Wind WaKer". I know, bizarre name.

- Gurm

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                              That's "Wind WaKer". I know, bizarre name.

- Gurm

I'll be damned! Your right. So what's a "Waker"?

Comment

Working...
                              X