Sound card upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound card upgrade?

I recently bought some nice logitech Z-680 5.1 Speakers. I have them connected to a SBlive 5.1 OEM.

Would I notice any difference going to the Audigy 2? Is it worth the price?

Thanks!
    "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Umm... depends on what you're doing. Many people think the A2 has superior sound to even the A1.

If you're working with digital in/out at all then DEFINITELY the upgrade it a great idea, because they have finally fixed the response on the A2's ins/outs.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Just games, and a movie every once in a while. Analog connections.
      "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Originally posted by Byock
        Just games, and a movie every once in a while. Analog connections.
        keep your sb live, I don't think you'll see a difference with those speakers.
        I went from sb live to audigy - no real difference other than improved noise levels (I 'm picky, too) .
        If you are happy with the sb live and have no concerns - stick to it.
        Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

If your keen, here is a way to improve the sound quality on your live.

I have not done it myself, but I am going to give it a go soon

Comment

Unless you game a ton or need DVD-A support, a better choice would be the MAudio Revolution.
            Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

I'd give a vote for M-Audio Revo, but for games you would need a pretty powerful system as 3D Gaming sound is not hardware accelerated with this card.
              System Specs:
              Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
              May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
              Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
              And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
              just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
              For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

Well, the Revo is a great card but right now it does ALL 3D gaming in software emulation, putting an undue burden on the CPU. It's worth watching as the drivers mature but for now it's a non-starter.

The Live! 5.1 series doesn't have the horrible bugs that the original Live! series did. If you aren't using the digital outs, you won't see a huge benefit... although the DRIVERS for the newer cards are worth the admission price alone, let me tell ya. You could pick up an Audigy 1 really cheap on eBay and then use my tutorial to get all the A2 drivers working...

Or you could get MOST of the A2 drivers working on your 5.1 if you wanted, I'm just not as able to help out with that.

- Gurm
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                X