In Car mp3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Car mp3

I've been looking round the net for some non-fanatical opinions on this tricky subject and, as always, I've decided to come to the MURC to see if I can get some (can't you just feel the love ).

I should be picking myself up my new car tomorrow (finance issues notwithstanding) and as a treat for spending money that I don't have I've decided to grab a CD player that plays mp3s for it.

Looking around, the model that immediately drags the eye towards it is the Sony CDX-MP40 (Work blocks the XPlod site so no link, sorry). It's brand shiny new and all the user reviews I've seen say 'yay'.

The thing is only £150, and I'm currently wondering how it can be so cheap (the model it replaces is still over £200 from most places) and still be good.

Anyone read a professional reviw of the unit / the previous one? Am I just dumb for not being able to find one?

Can anyone, basically, offer me any reason not to get it come payday? ( just before my girlfriend comes back from holiday )

Uberlad
    -------------------------
    8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
    5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

Maybe it's not the answer to your question, however:
    I'm waiting to have time and will to insert a Pentium 150 notebook in my car.
    Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

I just couldn't resist the urge to watch videos whislt driving. I'd better stick with audio only I reckon

Uberlad

Comment

Well, I don't think a P150 would be enough for DivX playing.

But it's still useful to use to connect to the net to use as a simple GPS.
        You plug a Radio card and have radio.
        You can listen to audio's CD.
        You can listen to MP3s.
        The passenger can use it during long travels to play a little game.
        And, if powerful enough, kids on the back can use it to see movies during long trips.

It's a bit foolish, however
        Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

I have the CDX-MP450X and I love mine. I've had it for about a year now.
          Titanium is the new bling!
          (you heard from me first!)

Comment

http://amimpc.world3.net/

Comment

I've got an Alpine 3893R. I've not nothing bad to say about it.

CD/MP3 Player with RDS Radio
              4 x 60W High Power Output
              MP3 File Playback
              Ai-Net Compatible
              Detachable Front Panel
              CD Changer Control
              CD Text
              3 x 4V Preouts for connection of External Amplifiers (Front
              Rear & Sub)
              BBE
              Bass Engine Plus
              Rotary Control
              Versatile Link
              Remote Control Ready
              Telephone Mute
              Switchable Illumination (Green/Amber)

*edit* Oh and it doesn't look as naff as it does in the pic!
              Attached Files
              The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Well, I doubted about an MP3 player, but having no MP3's whatsoever (yes, honestly !), I figured there was little use for me. Instead I opted for the Blaupunkt DX-R52 (1 DIN navigation).

There is an option however that allows MP3 playback from the IBM Microdrive

but I think I'll go with a good old-fashioned CD changer.

Jörg

PS: I like the PC idea though, check the MatrixOrbital site for applications of their USB/serial LCD displays in cars.
                Last edited by VJ; 13 March 2003, 03:52.
                pixar
                Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Why a CD changer? For the same price I have a CD player that can read MP3s from different directories on CDRWs.

That's a good 12CDs worth per CD. I rarely have a journey when I go through that much music
                  The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy [MU]
                    Why a CD changer? For the same price I have a CD player that can read MP3s from different directories on CDRWs.

That's a good 12CDs worth per CD. I rarely have a journey when I go through that much music
                    Blaupunkt currentyl has no Navigation system which can play MP3 directly (CD-ROM + SDCardreader or so). Don't know why (not enough room?), but I would say this is a must have feature.

I was also looking for an CD/MP3 Radio as well, but currently I'm not sure which one...

Blaupunkt CD/MP3 Player:
                    -Acapulco MP-52 (multi color display, MP3CD -> 255 directories)
                    -Los Angeles MP-71 (multi color display)
                    -Los Angeles MP-72 (multi color display + MMC/SD Cardreader)
                    -Daytona MP-53 (multi color display, MP3CD -> 127 directories "only")
                    -Toronto MP-73 (??)

I still think one of the best solutions is still a normal Radio with line-in + an Archos Jukebox

There is also an alternative open source operating system called "Rockbox" available.

A friend (the same insane guy who is developing the Java Movie Database with me) modded his Jukebox Recorder 20 and replaced the internal memory with an 8MB one.
                    This saves the batteries, because the harddrive doesn't have to spin up so often.
                    cu/2 magog - Germany - flying with OS/2 Warp speed...in a vehicle named eComStation (eCS)
                    ---
                    Author of the Java Movie Database - http://www.jmdb.de
                    JMDB v1.35 FINAL is available (2007-09-20)
                    Homepage: http://www.juergen-ulbts.de/

Comment

Paddy - finally found your one -it's a 789... model, and a little pricey for my meagre pocket. And it yould have to look less naff than the picture makes it look

I think that for sheer cost consideration I will have to go with the Sony.

Uberlad

Comment

LOL I didn't pay anyway near that price!

Comment

Fell off the back of a lorry?

Uberlad

Comment

dunno... I doubt it... but who knows.... it was a third of the price!
                            The store has a mail order site... want me to find it?

Comment

Yes indeedy.

Uberlad

Comment

Working...
                              X