Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real DVD Combo Writer

Here

The link is in german, but I guess everyone will know what it means. Looks nice

WOAH!!! Now that's the drive I want

I hope it's on SATA

Comment

It says it's either USB2 or IDE. Doesn't mention SATA.
      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Looks great!
        Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Due date? ANY ideas?
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          I would still get screwed

Comment

Nevermind...

"Due autumn 2003, estimated price of 400 Euros..."

Too damn much. The Sony DRU500 is available NOW, costs $325, and burns all that stuff except the DVD-RAM.

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Strange, LG usualy sets their prices very competative (read cheap )
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

yeah, but they dont have any competition for this drive, i just wish they would release it sooner

Comment

Cost will be related to who LG bought the chipset for this drive from. Not having taken one apart, I can't tell of course, but I have suspicions... And the ones I suspect LG will have used are not the cheapest. Plus the laser assembley could be "interesting" too. Certainly, if I had been designing such a drive, I would seriously have considered the "in or a penny in for a pound" philosophy

Chance of an SATA one? Not without converter chips on the PCB for this one.

One last point on this drive, no one has mentioned cache size yet (including LG). That stuff costs money and this dirve is liable to have as much as any other drive on the market ever had
                  MURC COC Minister of Wierd Confusion (MWC)

Comment

Don't have any competition? Unless you REALLY care about DVD-RAM, the Sony is superior in every way to the LG.

- Gurm

Comment

Who uses DVD-RAM anyway? If you ask me DVD-RAM is dead.
                      no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Originally posted by thop
                        ... If you ask me DVD-RAM is dead.
                        Au contraire.
                        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

According to the sales stats I've seen (2002 ones) fully half of the consumer DVD recordable devices sold were panasonic (DVD-RAM). There may not be that many different devices supporting -RAM; but the ones that there are are apparentley selling like hotcakes. So it's maybe not quite that dead after all.
                          MURC COC Minister of Wierd Confusion (MWC)

Comment

If you really care about DVD-RAM, LG already has a drive which writes the DVD+ formats and DVD-RAM. And IIRC, it's quite reasonably priced too. This drive is really for those who need/want to write everything.
                            Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Yup. The guy who has a set-top DVD-RAM device and really needs compatibility with that on his PC.

In other words, kind of a niche market.

- Gurm

Comment

Working...
                              X