Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French Fries ...

... are now ofiicially called Freedom Fries in the US .. LOL

I guess that's not much better than the french though who are desperate to replace technical english words (like email) with strange french ones.
    no matrox, no matroxusers.

The funny thing is that the "french" in french fries has nothing to do with France:

"In fact, the explanation is quite simple: in English, 'to french' means (or at least meant) 'to cut into lengthwise pieces'. You probably know 'frenched beans'. So logically, French Fries is short for 'frenched and fried potatoes'. In fact, the English call them 'chips', a word which has a similar meaning (a chipped piece of wood).
    Anyway: it's Belgian Fries, not French Fries, so it doesn't matter, not?"

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Also French Toast has been renamed to Freedom Toast. I can already see the TV adverts: Freedom never tasted so good!
      no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

What about a French Letter?
        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

What about a French Kiss?
          --Insert something here--

Comment

And what about the Australian Kiss - A french kiss down under?
            Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Originally posted by gtforty
              And what about the Australian Kiss - A french kiss down under?
              ROTFLMAO
              Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

And wadda bout my nick name "Frenchy"?
                Titanium is the new bling!
                (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Hey Zokes - are French-Canadians getting a new name too?
                  DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Re: French Fries ...

Originally posted by thop
                    ... are now ofiicially called Freedom Fries in the US .. LOL

I guess that's not much better than the french though who are desperate to replace technical english words (like email) with strange french ones.
                    I can't stand when the French do that! When I was in high school our french teacher always had new words for us to learn and they were always so stupid! (no offense)

Seriously, take the word "hacker". In french we say "pirate" cause it's well known and easy to say. But the French decided to change it to "bidouilleur". Anyways, if you were french you'd think that new word sounds retarded.

@GNEP: Let's just hope that if they change the name they make it something cool, like.... "The Not-English -Canadians" hehehe.

Comment

If I were American, I would be totally embarassed by this, but being German I can only shake my head and laugh

Comment

That's gotta be the lamest thing I've ever heard. And I suppose the next thing would be all maps, globes etc that come out of the states will have a giant void where France used to be because they disagreed.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that something needs to be done about Iraq, and military action will probably be the only method Iraq will understand, but to go so far as to start renaming foods etc because it had the word French in it is childish.

Hey Zokes - are French-Canadians getting a new name too?
                        Yup.

CANADIANS.

Here's a letter that seems appropriate.

Mercer's Apology to the USA
                        Courtesy of Rick Mercer from This Hour Has 22 Minutes on CBC Television

On behalf of Canadians everywhere I'd like to offer an apology to the United States of America. We haven't been getting along very well recently and for that, I am truly sorry.

I'm sorry we called George Bush a moron.

He is a moron but, it wasn't nice of us to point it out. If it's any consolation, the fact that he's a moron shouldn't reflect poorly on the people of America. After all it's not like you actually elected him.

I'm sorry about our softwood lumber. Just because we have more trees than you doesn't give us the right to sell you lumber that's cheaper and better than your own.

I'm sorry we beat you in Olympic hockey. In our defence I guess our excuse would be that our team was much, much, much, much better than yours.

I'm sorry we burnt down your White House during the War of 1812. I notice you 've rebuilt it! It's very nice.

I'm sorry about your beer. I know we had nothing to do with your beer but, we feel your pain.

I'm sorry about our waffling on Iraq. I mean, when you're going up against a crazed dictator, you wanna have your friends by your side. I realize it took more than two years before you guys pitched in against Hitler, but that was different. Everyone knew he had weapons.

And finally on behalf of all Canadians, I'm sorry that we're constantly apologizing for things in a passive-aggressive way, which is really a thinly veiled criticism. I sincerely hope that you're not upset over this.

We've seen what you do to countries you get upset with. Thank you.
                        #1 DRILL SERGEANT PICK-UP LINE

"You make me hornier before 9 AM than most
                        people do all day!"

Comment

I'm sorry about your beer. I know we had nothing to do with your beer but, we feel your pain.
                          I like this one!

Comment

Newspeak.

Why did they pick on French people anyway, most of the world is against this war, except for Tony Blair and countries that are dependent on concessions or entry to Nato on USA.

Comment

Yeah, but there is to be no stopping the war unless China puts its foot out, something it has no motivation to do.

On the other hand, the US will really need the efforts of the whole world to put Humpty Dumpty (Iraq) back together again...
                              Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X