X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celeron question

I'm thinking about getting this mobo: MSI MS-6533EG-LM

For CPU it says:
    Socket 478 for IntelĀ® P4 processors (Willimate 478 and Northwood 478) with 400/533 MHz (100/133MHz QDIR)

Will the P4 based Celeron 1.7 Ghz work in it? Just want to make sure cause usually it'll say P4 and Celeron cause a Celeron is just a defective P4 .

Thanks,
    Thien
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Most likely yes. If you want that Celeron in your machine, that's another question.

Comment

Yes, providing it is 478pin not 423pin, obviously.
      But honestly, you don't want that 1.7G Willimatte Celeron in your box At least get a Northwood Celeron... (2G and up)
      P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
      Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
      And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

I would say you wouldn't want a 478pin celeron in your pc at all.
        performance isn't good!

Comment

Well, I wanted cheap and the 1.7 is 55 bucks. I guess the 2 Ghz isn't that much more.
          The main reason I wanted a Celeron though is that I need quiet for a home theater computer, and I've heard that the stock fan that comes with the Intel CPUs is pretty quiet. If I were to go AMD I'd have to spend another $20+ to get a good quiet fan.
          Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
          Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Yes, but that Celery will be spanked by Socket370 Celeron 1300 or 1300Duron or any AthlonXP.

If you want a lowend CPU go Pentium 1.8A or low AMD AthlonXP.

For ultra quiet consider that you'll need quiet power supply, quiet case fans (Zalman F1s @ 2000RPM are IME quiet), quiet cooler (Zalman Flowerheatsink) and preferably fanless videocard.

Also the point of getting intel processor is getting intel chipset.

It's not processors that are better than AMD's ones, it's the chipsets that are better than VIA, SiS and nForce.
            Last edited by UtwigMU; 12 March 2003, 19:22.

Comment

Working...
            X