Okay is this guy a real dumbass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay is this guy a real dumbass

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Time he found something real to talk about.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Is this guy for real???
    My little 3 year old daughter loves the show and any toy that is associated with it. And she can't wait to get on a real train. Me thinks the psycologist has some deep fear of trains himself.
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

While I don't like bashing wholesome things just for the hell of it, it _IS_ time that people doing childrens' TV take a hard look at some of their shows.

Too often a show is put on the air based solely on pretext, without any understanding of the SUBTEXT.

Take "Bear in the Big Blue House", for example. On the surface it's a GREAT show, that teaches kids all kinds of good things.

But delve a little deeper and you'll see that the subtext of the show is a frightening message about the irrelevance of parenting. Bear lets the "kids" in the show push him around, abuse his good nature, and do whatever the heck they want all day long. There are no rules. There is no structure. Not once has Bear ever said "no" to anyone or anything.

Barney the Dinosaur is easy to hate - his message is horrific, his kids are little plastic puppets, and he himself is a nasty caricature of... God only knows what. He reminds me of some pedophiles I've seen interviewed on TV. Yuk.

But there are LOTS of kids' shows that don't take into consideration that their core audience isn't old enough to understand that the show they're watching isn't real.

Disney is as much to blame as anyone else. Logan is no longer allowed to watch their show "Rolie Polie Olie", after an episode which involved Olie hitting someone aired. Logan went around for two days hitting his mom, me, and the cats, then laughing and running away. The fact that the show eventually said that you shouldn't hit anyone is immaterial. The damage was done, the incident had happened. Toddlers have a 1-minute attention span. Having the "NO" message happen 10 minutes after the action isn't going to work for them.

There are lots of shows that are GOOD for kids. But there are an equal number that AREN'T, but nobody realizes it. And with a little work they could be. Bear in the Big Blue House is eminently saveable... it just needs a little tweaking.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

I think that guys own stupidity could have a negative influence on parents of equal stupidity.

JAmmrock
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

You left out those Hell-Spawned "Tele-Tubbies." I'd like to get my hands on the bonehead who thought that a TV show encouraging 1-3 year olds to zone out in front of the tube was a good idea.

Kevin

[edit] Mr. Rogers dies and the drek goes on and on. *sob*

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
            I think that guys own stupidity could have a negative influence on parents of equal stupidity.

JAmmrock
            No shortage of those

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Mr Young, an expert on how children react to TV programmes...
              See, that's the problem with Anglo-Saxon society, you have too much "experts"

Comment

What it really means is that there are far too many schools offering cut-rate psych and law degrees

Dr. Mordrid
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I remember Thomas and Ringo from my childhood
                  The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Well, this guy has a theory.

Let's see, in grade school science, we were taught that the scientific method begins with the theory.. fine. He needs to experiment now.. gather evidence. Why not interview 1000 parents on trains and see if their kids were somehow afraid to get on the train? Not happening? Theory debunked.

Comment

Wasn't this train a character in Stephen King's Gunslinger serries?

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy [MU]
                        I remember Thomas and Ringo from my childhood
                        Don't forget John, George, and Paul. Now let's get cheggered, and really give the "expert" something to fear
                        Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
                        --------------------------------------------------
                        OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                        and burped out a movie

Comment

Does anybody else hear the flushing of a carrear down the toilet?

~Sethos
                          "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

Taking Thomas in particular - it is very closely based on Rev W. Audreys books. Everything thing about it is set in a time when steam is largely dead and deisel has taken over, but The Rev has a real thorn in his side over that. His message is pushed rather too strongly in some parts of the books. All the accidents and misadventures happenned in steam days. My 5yr old still loves the books, and is now reading them to me. He also loves trains (he also loves the trams in Prague, but thats another story). That psychologist won't get a job in my department, thats for sure.

T.
                            FT.

Comment

Originally posted by efty
                              Wasn't this train a character in Stephen King's Gunslinger serries?
                              Yes and no. There was a train in the Wastelands and the begining of Wizard and Glass, but it's name was Blaine the Mono[rail]. There was an illusion to a kids book that had a train on the cover with laughing kids, though King twisted it into an evil train with kids screaming in fear. I thought he aluded to The Little Engine that Could (whatever it's called) though I suppose Thomas would work as well.

Jammrock
                              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                              X