Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is my P4 idle temp high or is it just me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my P4 idle temp high or is it just me?

Ok yet another question.....

Just installed my new P4 2.4 GHz, with the stock heatsink + fan.
    According to the Asus PC probe, my idle temperature is 47 degrees (celsius of course). Is that what I should expect or is that a bit high?
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Did you use any thermal paste? That does seem a bit high for idle...
    System Specs:
    Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
    May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
    Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
    And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
    just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
    For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

Yea... that's way too high. Dispite my lower clock speed, I am getting 32 degrees (idle) with stock fan

Even my Athlon 1.4 (thunderbird!!!) is 45 idle!

Comment

Originally posted by BuddMan
        Did you use any thermal paste? That does seem a bit high for idle...
        Nope, no thermal paste, just the thermal pad that was already on the heatsink. Anyway though, I've been meaning to replace the stock heatsink with something a little more "solid" at some point anyway, so guess it's gonna be sooner rather than later.

Should the heatsink feel warm to the touch at idle?... cause mine sure doesn't!

Buddman... what is your idle temp. and what cooler are you using?
        If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

LOL gotta love the difference between a P4 and an Athlon. I'd need water cooling to get to 47' at idle. LOL.

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

Well, I'm watercooling, so my temps never go above 35 on high load (my alarm sounds at 50), but when I was first building everything, I had to use the stock heatsink cause I was having probs with the watercooling system, and my idle temp was around 42. But I didn't use any paste and in fact took off the heat pad on the heatsink (didn't want it melting all over my P4), so it was direct contact. But I never kept the computer on more than 15 minutes during that time (was still building and testing it out). I'd try refitting the heatsink with thermal paste, or if you want try a better heatsink.
            System Specs:
            Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Comment

With a room temperature of 24c, my Celeron 1.2 o/c'ed to 1.38 at the stock 1.475 volts idles at 35c, and with DF running warms up to a whopping 38c. For some reason these P3/Celeron Tualatin chips don't change temperature much between full load and idle. Oh, and that's with an Alpha 6035 heatsink, a 23.5 CFM fan, and original Artic Silver.
              Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 11 March 2003, 12:22.

Comment

Hehehe on my Athlon machine there's a heater beside it With 45 I didn't use watercooling.

Comment

Don't worry Chris.
                  Some boards (MSI and Asus) are known to have higher temp reading because of their sensor placement.

Like my old MSI 645 Ultra, it reports 39c idle while my new Albatron reports 29c. So you should compare only the PCs with the same motherboard.

So, whats your motherboard?

By the way, check:
                  1. HSF gives enough pressure?
                  2. Is the thermal pad clean? (i.e. no dust no hair etc)
                  3. Have your tried any sort of REAL thermal paste? (AS3 recommended!!)
                  4. MBM5?
                  P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                  Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                  And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Originally posted by WyWyWyWy

So, whats your motherboard?

By the way, check:
                    1. HSF gives enough pressure?
                    2. Is the thermal pad clean? (i.e. no dust no hair etc)
                    3. Have your tried any sort of REAL thermal paste? (AS3 recommended!!)
                    4. MBM5? [/B]
                    Motherboard is an Asus P4PE

1: Not sure what you mean about pressure!?
                    2: Well the thermal pad was probably not completely clean when I attached the HS.
                    3: One tube of AS3 should drop through my mail slot tomorrow
                    4: I tried installing MBM5, but I can't figure out how to 'configure' it

EDIT: Ok think I figured the MBM out, and temperature readings are the same as the PC probe readings
                    Last edited by Chris B; 12 March 2003, 11:22.

Comment

When he says enough pressure, the heatsink needs to put a decent amount of force on the CPU to ensure good contact (so it doesn't move around, etc). He might be right about the mobo's temp probe though. I put my Koolance temp probe under the heatsink right next to the CPU (I tape it to it with thermal tape). I find that my mobo temp readings are 2 degrees higher than my Koolance one.
                      System Specs:

Comment

I thought that the XPs had a thermal diode built in, so that newer motherboards don't use an external sensor?
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Stock p4 2.4a, original heatsink and heat spreader , Asus p4te mobo
                          system always on - temp 34.5 C, mobo temp 30.5 C

Your's seems a little high.
                          Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                            I thought that the XPs had a thermal diode built in, so that newer motherboards don't use an external sensor?
                            My Koolance has an external thermal sensor, and my mobo has its own built in sensor. The mobo reads two degrees higher than the Koolance one, but the Koolance one is right next to the cpu (nearly touches it) below the heatsink.
                            System Specs:

Comment

Yeah, different motherboards give different readings. It all depends on whether or not they use the internal sensor and which sort of sensing chip they use, etc. On some of the newer motherboards, I have seen that they report both the CPU temp and CPU kernel temp, which is usually quit high (60-90 deg C).

Comment

Working...
                              X