Office 2003 Beta 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Office 2003 Beta 2

My company is part of the official beta test, so I got my hands on Office 2003 Beta 2 to tinker with. My initial impression? It's uh ... pretty cool. At least as cool as an Office suite can be. M$ actually did their homework on this one!

Here's a pic of the new interface in Outlook 2003:

The interface is very nice and extremely easy to adjust to. Unfortunately they kept the same incomprehesible account setup manager from Outlook 2002

I've only been working with it for a couple of hours, but I've noticed it runs lightning fast, doesn't really bog down system resources (PIII 500, 384 MG RAM, 4 MB vid card), the installer actually did a good job of upgrading from Office 2002. The icons are easily readable and uh ... it's all around a very comfy and efficient product.

Who would have ever thought *I* would ever say something like that? I surely didn't.

Jammrock

PS - Word has a nifty new feature called 'Reading Layout.' It splits a doc into small pages (about 170 words double space, 300 single), each page fills the center of the app. Once you are done reading that page, scroll wheel down on the mouse, page 2 pops up.

Here's a screen shot of it:
    Last edited by Jammrock; 11 March 2003, 09:29.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

looks nice...
    Can I assume it has the same nasty product activation as other new MS products?
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Does Outlook still have the "Outlook Today" view? Has it changed much? How customizable is it? I've been somewhat disappointed with Outlook XP's implementation.
      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Nice

If you (or your companies) are beta testers, why dont send them feedback about the account setup manager? maybe they'll improve it (its not a release canditate, is it?)

Comment

WOW! now ur getting me all excited and stuff

yea. since u guys are beta testers, i guess the point is submit ur comments

Comment

Yup, send as much feedback as you can, make them deliver a really great program, and maybe be ill update my office 2000

Comment

Can I assume it has the same nasty product activation as other new MS products?
              Beta's usually don't have activiation. At least my copy w/ key didn't require activation.
              Does Outlook still have the "Outlook Today" view?
              Yes it's still there, no it hasn't change, and it's not the default view anymore. You can see it by clicking on the 'Mailbox - XXX' line.
              How customizable is it?
              I've only had it for a few hours now. What sort of customizations are you interested in, and I'll check them out?
              its not a release canditate, is it?
              Beta 2.
              why dont send them feedback about the account setup manager?
              I plan on it.
              maybe be ill update my office 2000
              So far I am very impressed with this implementation. Assuming they don't screw it up by RTM, it will be a worthy upgrade from all previous versions of Office.

Keep the questions coming.

Jammrock

Comment

I'm also on this beta cycle, and I have to say the more I use Office 2003 the more I like it.

The little transparent popups when you get mail are nice, since Outlook now hides nicely to the tray when asked to.

Outlook is MUCH more customizable than before. Julie didn't like it at first but once I helped her customize it she was happy.

- Gurm
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                If only life were as easy as you
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                I would still get screwed

Comment

If only Outlook wasn't the biggest single virusrisk in computing today ...
                  "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Is the CRM software client application included???
                    P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                    Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                    And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

CHHAS,

Meaning what? I've never gotten a virus through Outlook, nor have I even sniffed a whiff of one. The risks are exaggerated.

And frankly, NO e-mail program is safe if the user is dumb enough to click on a file named:

Anna-Kournikova-Nude-****ing-A-Goat.mpg.jpg.bat.vbs.com.exe.vbs.vbs.xls.vbs.vbs

I mean, c'mon!

- Gurm
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                      I would still get screwed

Comment

Have to agree with Gurm on this one.

lol @ Anna-Kournikova-Nude-****ing-A-Goat.mpg.jpg.bat.vbs.com.exe.vbs.vbs.xls.vbs.vbs

Only virus I have ever got was from my mate back in 1999 when we never had virus software installed, evil little thing is was, destroyed my mates bios.

Comment

Is the CRM software client application included???
                          CRM?

Gurm,

Yeah, I noticed the transparent pop-ups after my previous posts. They are very nice indeed. You can be in the middle of typing something and they do not disturb you at all. No annoying windows that take control of the active window spot.

Haven't had time to customize it myself, been rather busy the past week, especially today.

Jammrock

Comment

CRM "Customer Relationship Management" tool to manage relationships with customers e.g to track orders, invoices, etc.
                            Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                            Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                            Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Can someone PM Anna-Kournikova-Nude-****ing-A-Goat.mpg.jpg.bat.vbs.com.exe.vbs.vbs.xls.vbs.vbs to me?
                              The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Working...
                              X