No announcement yet.

Computer skills testing s/w (clerical)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer skills testing s/w (clerical)?

I have to put together a test for candidates for an adminitrative post - Win2k & Office 2k stuff. You know, enter these figures into Excel, create a chart, paste it into Word, save & email, that sort of thing.

Can anyone recommend any free s/w that will test this sort of knowledge?

TIA.

T.
    FT.

I'm not familiar, but as I was told there are online tests, some with even results that people use as reference, which simulate MCSE and similar exams.

Try googling for MCSE exams simulations.

There are also exam simulations provided with sybex MCSE books.

Comment

Thanks UtwigMU, but I'm aiming a lot lower than that. My own searches have found a lot of companies offering testing products, but I've not found anything free as yet.

Cheers

T.
      FT.

Comment

If you're going to send questions through e-mail, well if I were a candidate and had problems with a few questions, I'd visit #ntmojo on irc.arstechnica.com or post in NTMojo forum and do away with them.

Comment

I talking about sitting someone down infront of a PC and completing a task while I am in the room - no cheating allowed
          FT.

Comment

Why not make a test of your own? Not that hard to do and you can define what you want. Discard overqualified and underqualified applicants.

Comment

I know I used one once at one of the high street recruitment agencies, that would be exactly what you are looking for. I am guessing that they either paid for it or they developed it themselves though - which is why I wouldn't hold out too much hope on there being a freeware one around...

AFAIR though it was just looking for exact sequences of clicks and keystrokes - which unfortunately means that anyone using keyboard shortcuts (me) was unfairly punished...
              DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Thanks DM - I have a feeling I'll have to make up a simple task myself and observe them doing it.

Cheers

Tony.
                FT.

Comment

Yup - get them to do stuff like:

--Format a load of text articles into a newsletter with multiple columns in Word (give them the raw text and a printed version of what it looks like)
                  --Make a bar chart in Excel from a series of numbers and add an average line
                  --(More advanced) Draw a subset of data from a worksheet in Excel using Pivot tables and then plot it
                  --Build a template for powerpoint presentations with the "house style" (making some slides is too easy...)
                  --It's probably worth checking their speed and accuracy with a bit of a timed data-entry test as well from hand-written input - but of course it depends on what you will be wanting them to do...

George

Comment

You could always ask them to build your server for you
                    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I think a light-weight version of DMs suggestion is most appropriate. These will be candidates for an Administrative Assistant's post - higher than secretarial, but not technical.

Having someone with the time to build the server would be nice though...

T.
                      FT.

Comment

Also how they look in a short skirt is a useful test

(*ducks*)

Comment

Only any good if he shaves his legs first
                          FT.

Comment

LOL

Comment

Working...
                            X