wierd OS issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wierd OS issue

Ok this computer has been the real trial of my knowledge, first on an annoying point the IDE cables were hot glued to the board and drives very annoying. but now that I finally got the thing put together the OS (win 98) won't load! ahhh. finally I got it to load by under clocking the cup, something that I've never had to do ever before. So I finally got it to load. Now I've just loaded the graphics drivers for this nvidia TNT 2 32MB card and it won't boot up properly now. Annoying to say the least...suggestions welcome though I've a few thing I'm going to try first...I'll keep you updated as to a possible victory.

~Sethos
    "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

you using win98 SE? more info is welcome if you need help.

1 reset bios
    2 set memory to least aggressive timings/speed
    3 install win 98 SE
    4 install drivers from CD
    5 if all of the above doesnt work get a sledgehammer
    Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

If you are using 98 or 98SE go straight to step 5.

Comment

Well as an update: I finally got the OS (98SE) to install, and it is stable. Victory, O victory! (almost)

Now I've just downloaded the drivers for my Nvidia TNT 2 32MB modle 64 graphics card...same thing happened again...it doesn't WANT to boot (you can quasie force it to though, and once you do it tends to freeze pretty quickly). The board is still underclocked a bit, and so hence the AGP slot is running a bit slower than normal as well, could this be causing problems? I wouldn't initialy think so, but maybe...I have that one issue to resolve and then things will be good. back to the virtual battle fields...

~Sethos
        "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

At long last I do finally have victory!! Originally I did have to underclock the system to get 98SE to load. Then I figured that I'd just leave it like that, however upon loading the graphics drivers the system suddenly wouldn't boot, or wouldn't be stable. so last night I finally went ahead and reset the clock to a higher (still under clocked slightly) clock and the AGP and all accoutraments are working poperly!

~Sethos

Comment

Seems like a hell of a lotta work just to get that machine running.

After all your effort I hope that mankind is assisted in someway by your 98 SE rig.

Comment

Working...
            X