Supid question.. I think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supid question.. I think

So I just got a P4, and on the stock heatsink there is some sort of black tape (or something) covering the area where it will make contact with the processor!

I should remove that black tape before installation right? or ehh not right!?
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

remove that "tape" only if you want to use thermal grease instead!

Comment

Thanks
      If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

Remove only the protective film before installing the cooler, not the ”tape”.
        Keep everything VERY clean.
        Clean your fingers too (isopropylalkohol).

Fred H
        It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
        ------------------------------------------------

Comment

If the tape is covering a patch of sticky goo then yes remove it.

If the tape is covering another piece of tape, then yes remove it.

If the tape is covering bare heatsink... then maybe it's supposed to be there.

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

The tape is covering only the bare heatsink!

It's like an aluminium tape, but it is covered by a layer of black 'film' that easily scrapes off! I found this out by "accident"!

Comment

Read this:

Very useful.

Fred H

Comment

Use toothpaste, it's better than AS3.

Comment

That black tape is thermal tape. If it gets hot enough it will stick to your processor. Personally I'd take it off and use Thermal Paste like Artic Silver, but I don't even use it since I watercool.
                  System Specs:
                  Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
                  May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
                  Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
                  And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
                  just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
                  For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

I've had similarly good results with the Zn-O stuff in the little tube from Radio Shack
                    I just checked my ZnO ”Thermalcote” in my radio shack (I am SM6JNA )
                    And it has the thermal conductivity = 0.43 while the ArticSilver3 has >9.0 W/m°K.
                    It means that the AS3 is 21 times better than my “radio-Thermalcote”
                    I never had the intention to use it to CPU.

Fred H

Comment

Thanks for the info guys...

I'm ordering a tube of AS3 today, and the tape is going off as soon as soon as it arrives. Does that stuff really lower temperatures that much?

Comment

Use toothpaste, it's better than AS3.
                        I love DansData
                        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

AS3 is good, but sometimes, when I intensively charge the CPU (near 100%) with long time video works I am using a software cooler too.
                          CPUCool at http://mitglied.lycos.de/podien/
                          It reduces the CPU temp with about 10°C.
                          Just in this moment, with the CPUCool on, the CPU temperature is +31°C. Not bad

Fred H

Comment

Errr..how does this program keep the CPU cooler?
                            System Specs:
                            Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
                            May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
                            Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
                            And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
                            just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
                            For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

My thoughts exactly!

Comment

Working...
                              X