What is the best way to proceed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best way to proceed?

I'am looking for some advice ppl Basically I'am in the process of doing highers, which is Scotlands equivalent to A-levels. So I'am wondering which is the best way to go from here ? HNC/HND or degree and or workplace ? I was looking at a couple of courses this year, one was an HNC in media etc what do you think?

Do a degree.
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Preferably a sandwich course (effectively gives 1 year work experience during the 3rd year). Don't want to go out green like I will be in, ooh, 3 months.

J1NG
      Last edited by J1NG; 10 March 2003, 11:32.

Comment

At some point the decision comes down to yourself - depending on where you want to head, whether you fancy several career paths, and what kind of level you want to reach - hopefully the thought above and my ramblings below can ensure that you are generally better informed about the paths

Also, here is a previous thread that I started last year - <a href="http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37683" title="Careers in computing...A+? MSCE? BSc? Diploma?">Careers in computing...A+? MSCE? BSc? Diploma?</a>

Here be the aforementioned ramblings...

For long term career prospects then a degree-level qualification really becomes paramount. I'm working for Sun in Linlithgow (at the moment), which requires below degree, and basic Unix knowledge - the career prospects towards Unix administration seem reasonable, but I'll have to try and find a job in Unix support before I can get a full Unix admin job.

Most 1st-line Windows tech support jobs only ask for Windows knowledge and likely 'some' experience. If you want to get more advanced roles (2-line support, support officer, senior support), then a degree will really help jumpstart you into these - however, a few years experience would also get you there. So, possibly a degree and part-time job would be good. As noted above, a placement period could be very beneficial.

The problem now is that most UK companies have realised graduates are useless to them - without training. Finding a graduate job is now very hard - getting the job even harder. However, a graduate can apply to jobs in any discipline. Some jobs will ask for a degree or relevant experience - so, in my case, I can only apply for Windows support, web development at a stretch and possibly Unix (a few more months at Sun will help there). My mates with degrees can apply anywhere - although they'll likely lose out to people who have exactly matching experience.

Then of course there are places where degrees are compulsory - many large companies will simply ignore you unless you have a first class or second class degree.

I'm a bit busy at work so I'll just post this now, here's a few links to recruitment agencies. Look at local and national papers and see what jobs you are interested in - then see what the requirements are. Note that jobs at the moment aren't too easy to come by, getting your foot in the door can always be helpful. You might have the requirements for better positions, but holding out for one of these at the moment might not be the best idea. However, employers won't look too favourable on people who keep switching jobs to jump up the ladder

Find It jobs with Reed.co.uk. Discover It vacancies on offer, across the UK, helping you ❤ Mondays.

Find a job today from over 200,000 jobs available on Monster's UK JobSite. Create a killer CV, use our local job search and get the job you deserve!

Hope this can be of some help, if I think of more I'll add it on,

P.

Comment

Working...
        X