Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Website's

Ok.
    I want to start getting into websites, atm I can make basic one's but what are the best programs to use ?? for adding flash etc

See, this is a loaded question.

Many of us feel that "adding flash" is not really the same as "making websites".

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

I suppose, my question doesn't really go into a lot of detail, what I should have said was how do I make good websites fullstop as I said I can make basic one's, I'am just overwhlemed by all the different posibilities

I think Flash is a nice feature in some websites, I'd like to familiarise myself more with Java in website's.

thx for quick reply Gurm

Comment

cut and paste

download apache
        checkout php/perl and other scripting languages

find a good help site eg http://www.help4web.net/menu.html

flash is an ass, walk before you can run.

breezer
        Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

thanks for putting things into perspective breezer

Comment

There are many alternatives, ActiveX, Java, CGI, Perl, ASP, ASPX, Visual Interdev, and many more. It depends on what you want to accomplish.

ActiveX is nice, but people have to agree to download the module in order for them to see it.

Java is also nice, but if you have done any programming in the past, you are gonna have a real tough road ahead.

CGI is mostly used for scripting and the like and really can't build a good website, but its nice to know if you want to send mail or an online order through a form.
            There is no real link for CGI, you have to search the internet in order to find anything on CGI.

Perl is a language that was developed to totally confuse the online programming community, its like starting to write you programs in binary, you have to declare everything and by the time you have done that, you have a 10,000 page program that does nothing.
            Since 1997 Perl.com has published articles about the Perl programming language, its culture and community.

ASP and ASPX are 2 of the new programming languages for internet out there. They are getting good revues, but its too early to decide whether they are going to take off full bore.
            Build web apps and services that run on Windows, Linux, and macOS using C#, HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. Get started for free on Windows, Linux, or macOS.

Flash I won't even talk about, it is the worst programming language out there.

All in all if you are going to create web pages with a little more pizzazz than the average table and frame subset, you have to pick one and stay with it. I program in all the above mentioned, but my favorite is ActiveX, although people have to download the control in order for it to work right, it is the most flexible, and if you have programmed in Visual Basic, its the easiest.

Hope the links help ya 3Dfx.
            Peace Out.

WORLD PEACE

Think IT. Live IT. Be IT.

<a href="http://bellsouthpwp.net/L/i/Liquid-Memory/fearit/index.htm">F.E.A.R. IT</a>
            Free Enterprise About Reality

Comment

No. Forget all that. First you should be good at slicing up photoshop mockups for the pictures, and hand-coding an HTML/CSS template using notepad.

Only when you have complete mastery of the above making it display properly in all browsers from Lynx through IE 3-->6 and Netscape 4.x + Moz + opera can you be ready for "real" website building...

Learn the basics well first, by pretending it is still 1998...
              DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

GNEP, those are the basics, and being able to program a website that actually fits across all those platforms is absolutely impossible. Unless your HTML source only contains:

HTML
                Hello World
                /HTML
                Peace Out.

WORLD PEACE

<a href="http://bellsouthpwp.net/L/i/Liquid-Memory/fearit/index.htm">F.E.A.R. IT</a>

Comment

No. It's possible. Just really awkward. It won't look identical on all platforms (obviously - Lynx is in there), but you can make it look "right" for each and function properly with nothing broken and all navigation etc present.

But honestly it's not worth the effort these days. Code cleanly for xhtml/css and you won't have any problems. But you should learn how to hand-code pages - kind of like learning how to use a hand-saw when you have power-tools available. Just one of those done-things.

Comment

Your right on the last part, if you are going to program webpages, do it in a text editor.
                    Peace Out.

WORLD PEACE

Comment

Not necessarily "do it in a text editor". More like "know how to do it in a text editor" and then use whatever method you're most comfortable with.

Comment

When making your website, try to remember that an apostrophe only goes before the "s" in the case of a possessive or a contraction, never a plural.

Comment

LOL

Comment

And that it's spelt "mastUrbate", not "mastErbate".

And it's "vagina", not "virgina".

- Gurm
                            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                            I would still get screwed

Comment

And it's spelled "spelled"

edit: yeah, I know it's generally considered an acceptable american variant (ie. color, nite, etc.), but really, spelt is a "hardy wheat grown mostly in Europe for livestock feed"
                              Last edited by agallag; 10 March 2003, 14:15.
                              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Working...
                              X