mainboard recommendations for athlonxp1.33mhz and 512megs of ddr 2100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mainboard recommendations for athlonxp1.33mhz and 512megs of ddr 2100

heh, my buddy's system melted down including an ati radion 8500 all in wonder, the mainboard, and the monitor is slightly tweeked because when it goes into power management mode the monitor makes a high pitched noise when the green light flips yellow to power management mode. it is a really nice monitor too. viewsonic a90f.

I gave him one of my system boards which is an abit kt7a for his chip, ram, and the cost of the replacement board. that way I get the upgrade and he gets a working computer again. it was origionally a sh_tball compaq, you know, one of those mass produced hunks of junk that break in software usually right outside of the manufacturer's 1 year warrenty?? in this case the whole system had a meltdown right outside the warrenty. it sure does seem like that happens a whole lot in my observations regarding the computer industry but in particular the compaq and hp computer systems sold out of best buy and the like.

the chip is an athlon xp 1.33mhz cpu (xp1500 or whatever)
    the ram is probably run of the mill especially because its got the com"crack" logo/sticker on it. 2x256/2100ddr ram. the system is just over 1 year old.

the via 333 board asus has seems to get rave reviews at motherboards.org and the like...

I was drooling over the abit kr7a-raid but really only because I am an abit fan

k..... so recommendations are appreciated. thankyou.

oh! what is the speed difference between 266fsb thunderbird 1.4, and an athlonxp 1.33?
    Last edited by Hpar_; 9 March 2003, 06:42.

I really like the MSI 745 Ultra board based on the SiS 745 chipset.

They're really inexpensive now (~$50 or so) and are also very fast & stable. They also don't have the pci-to-host memory bandwidth problems VIA KT-xxx chipped boards have.

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Dr Mordrid,

I am like ready to order up an asus a7v333 board based on this review. msi is in their list as well and they also have a list of kt400 board reviews at sharkyextreme.com http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardwar...le.php/1593971

the latest asus board, the a7v-8x uses the kt400 and I think it can only take 1.5v agp cards. what voltage is the matrox marvel g400/200 cards? can I use these cards in the a7v-8x? In my opinion, every mainboard should use a universal 8x agp slot that takes ALL agp cards.

also what about the nforce2 boards? all the via and nforce2 boards use integrated 6 channel so does that mean I can throw away my turtle beach santa cruz? hehe, I am kidding. I would rather toss the onboard audio any day.
      Last edited by Hpar_; 10 March 2003, 14:29.

Comment

Why do you ask opinions on stuff when you already have decided on the thing anyway? (as always)

Comment

actually I just think I have decided but I am really undecided. now all of the sudden soyo seems like the right choice. you know how this goes, you are faced with a maze of confussion and choices when you have to buy computer parts. that is good and bad I think. someone I am chatting with says they have nothing but problems with the asus boards they have used and no problems every with the soyo boards. of course reliability is tops in my view.

Comment

my point is that you don't seem to interact in any way with the information presented to you by others (in this case Dr Mordrid).

Comment

are you going to help me decide dZeus or are you just going to pick on my inability to decide?

k. thanks anyway for the constructive criticism.

Comment

"I am like ready to order up an asus a7v333 board based on this review"

Dosen't the "V" in a7v333 mean Via?? I thoughT Via was to be avoided..
                paulw

Comment

Originally posted by paulw
                  "I am like ready to order up an asus a7v333 board based on this review"

Dosen't the "V" in a7v333 mean Via?? I thoughT Via was to be avoided..
                  my point exactly in 'failing to interact with information presented'...

Comment

Working...
                  X