Why does NASA suck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does NASA suck?

Well NASA has now failed to actually get a lander to Mars several times now in the past few years.

But relatively soon, the ESA's Cassini spacecraft (which just did a beautiful flyby of Jupiter, providing the most high-resolution imaging to date of our biggest planet) will be arriving in the vicinity of Saturn, and dropping its Huygens probe into the atmosphere of Titan via parachute.

Apparently NASA sucks.

I imagine it has something to do with funding, but I don't see the EU sinking tons of cash into the ESA either.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

I think Mars itself is has bit of bad luck when it comes to exploring it. The Russains lost a couple probes themselfs going to the red planet and NASA has had a couple stupid mistakes...like someone screwing up meters and feet and probe crashing beacause of that.
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Originally posted by GT98
      like someone screwing up meters and feet and probe crashing beacause of that.
      I wonder what happened to the person responsible for that exspensive cock up.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

(sorry for deeplinking, esa )

isn't there some kind of "race to mars" going on between ESA/NASA at the moment?

mfg
        wulfman
        "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
        "Lobsters?"
        "Really? I didn't know they did that."
        "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Isn't that the famous black spot????
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
            Isn't that the famous black spot????
            I think it's the shadow of a moon (look just to the right and below the "spot.")

Comment

Cassini is not an ESA mission. It is a NASA mission.

The ESA component of the mission is the Huygens probe that will dive through the atmosphere of Saturn's moon, Titan.
              Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Then why is all of Cassini's data going to Jodrell Bank (sp?) instead of NASA?

All I know is the news story said it was an ESA op.

- Gurm
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                  I think it's the shadow of a moon (look just to the right and below the "spot.")
                  I wasn't being serious. 2010.
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Well, Cassini is a project of JPL. The DSN antennas are responsible for communication.

As for who analyzes the data, I don't see that it matters.

Comment

BTW, the problem with NASA's losses of its recent Mars probes can be attributed to putting all their eggs in one basket.

In the 1970's, any mission consisted of two probes, for redundancy. This is no longer the case...

Comment

The upcoming Mars rover mission will have two probes, launched seperately. So, when the first one crashes into Mars because they got the altitudes of the landing sites reversed or something, they'll be able to reprogram the other one before it too crashes.

Comment

The answer is two fold the first physical, the second philosophical.

1, Everybody loves it, but nobody wants to pay what it costs.
                          2, Privatization is destroying the base of expertise that NASA had.

chuck
                          Chuck
                          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley
                            The answer is two fold the first physical, the second philosophical.

1, Everybody loves it, but nobody wants to pay what it costs.
                            2, Privatization is destroying the base of expertise that NASA had.

chuck
                            AMEN!!!

Comment

same thing that is frying matrox.... managment.....
                              "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Working...
                              X