Ultra DMA, DMA and PIO modes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultra DMA, DMA and PIO modes?

I've got a Plextor 48/24/48A burner that doesn't work in Ultra DMA mode. Nero locks up at "Scanning SCSI/IDE bus..." when it starts up. Setting the DMA jumper on the back of the drive disables Ultra DMA mode. Then it reverts to standard DMA mode, which seems to work, as does PIO mode. But is there anything bad about the burner not being in Ultra DMA mode? The burner is on Secondary master, but I've put it on Primary master with the same results.

Well as long as you're not making coasters it isn't going to matter.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

not that it'll make any difference but are you using the 1.04 version firmware?

Comment

I am using the 1.04 firmware, the 1.03 and original 1.00 gave the same results.

On DMA mode it seems to be fine; it can read up to 40X without any problems, and I've burned some stuff at 32X (the maximum my media supports) without problems. Only weird thing was that Nero would report my CD-R as 856MB even though they are definitely not

Comment

there are a bunch of things it could be.

it could be an incompatability with another drive on the chain. it could be a faulty cable. it could be an issue between the motherboard and the drive (sometimes telling the BIOS that there is no drive there fixes this, sometimes letting it auto detect fixes it).

plus lots more.
          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Have you tried CS instead of master/slave? I've heard it can fix this.

T.
            FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Liquid Snake
              I am using the 1.04 firmware, the 1.03 and original 1.00 gave the same results.

On DMA mode it seems to be fine; it can read up to 40X without any problems, and I've burned some stuff at 32X (the maximum my media supports) without problems. Only weird thing was that Nero would report my CD-R as 856MB even though they are definitely not
              Nero bug. Maximum size that can be represented in the ATIP 79:59:99 (700MB). Ahead should not (IMO) allow more than that to be shown for a CD, and report a drive error i the drive claims it's bigger.
              MURC COC Minister of Wierd Confusion (MWC)

Comment

I guess not everything was OK. CD-RWs don't work - it reports that there is no disc in the drive.

The only other drive on the onboard IDE is my Pioneer DVD, which is on the primary channel. I'll try different cables and cable select.

Comment

If CD-RW's are not being seen by the drive I am gonna bet that you have a faulty drive. Maybe, maybe not. too many things it could be.
                  "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

I replaced the cable and it works fine now. I should've checked that first Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Comment

cool, glad it works.

Comment

Arg, I've just connected my newly RMA'd cuda IV and It will only show up in PIO mode. Whenever i copy data to/from the drive it brings my computer to it's knees. My other HD is working fine in UDMA. Time to check the BIOS me thinks...

*edit* Sorted
                        Last edited by Paddy; 10 March 2003, 00:00.
                        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Working...
                        X