PDA

View Full Version : Who makes the best dual head.

The PIT
8th March 2003, 11:50
I've got a feeling whos going to win this one.

The PIT
8th March 2003, 12:16
Well matrox is running away with it very rapidly.

UtwigMU
8th March 2003, 12:39
What did you expect:

It would be like posting which card is fastest on Rage3D and giving FX, Parhelia and R9800 as options.

Here's a recent thread on similar subject on Arstechnica:

I love my NView - Should i be tempted to go over to Hydravision? (http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=67909965&m=3800981815)

Brian R.
8th March 2003, 14:28
I run Matrox dual-head on three of my computers. I will not try any other brand - so no opinion. I have nothing with which to compare my video :)

Joel
8th March 2003, 14:36
This is like asking a bunch of women at a women's liberation rally who are smarter, men or women?? :D :D :D

Joel :D

UtwigMU
8th March 2003, 15:26
OK so who voted for Ati?

Nowhere
8th March 2003, 17:01
That someone is definetely safier than the one who voted for nvidia :D

Jon P. Inghram
8th March 2003, 18:02
I'm getting damn tired of M.U.R.C. :mad: Buncha pricks if you ask me... not even including a Bitboys option here! :p

Chrono_Wanderer
8th March 2003, 19:21
Originally posted by Jon P. Inghram
I'm getting damn tired of M.U.R.C. :mad: Buncha pricks if you ask me... not even including a Bitboys option here! :p

ROFLMAO :D:D:D

so someone actually saw bitboys in action.

or maybe ur no human :D:D:D

Jon P. Inghram
8th March 2003, 20:03
No, just didn't think it was a very fair poll. ;)

My G400 MAX had much nicer dual head support than my Radeon 8500. The drivers and hardware were much easier to use.

Kruzin
8th March 2003, 20:15
It's pretty obvious to anyone who has used multi-monitors with various cards who has the best implimentation.
Even my techno-illiterate boss has noticed the difference between the rigs we have that use a G550, a Radeon, a GeForce, and seperate cards.
The G550 stands alone when compared to our other multi-display rigs.

Sasq
8th March 2003, 20:23
As I can't afford a P and I love my dual head, I've stuck with my G550.

I've been tempted with the latest offerings from ATI but I can't live without DH

KvHagedorn
8th March 2003, 20:50
Hmm my answer isn't among the choices..

Nuno
9th March 2003, 03:08
I tried 9700 hydravision yesterday, an it did fine. It allows for diferent resolutions and refresh rates on the 2 monitors, with independent desktops (1 app on each monitor), the 2nd head is hardware accelerated on both direct 3d and openGL and has video overlay; you can actually watch a movie full screen on the 2nd monitor while working on the primary.

So Im sure Matrox is still king of the hill about multimonitor support, but ATIs hydravision (at least on the 9700) seems rather complete to me, at least in the sense it does everything I tried and it does it correctly.

Gurm
9th March 2003, 04:55
Originally posted by Joel
This is like asking a bunch of women at a women's liberation rally who are smarter, men or women?? :D :D :D

Joel :D

Yeah, but sadly they'd all be wrong, proving the point quite nicely. ;)

Women are smart, to be sure. But it's in a different way from men.

And don't even get me STARTED on Marilyn Idiot Savant, whose IQ test results are either faked or an anomaly - 'cuz she is dumb as a ****ing post.

- Gurm

Jammrock
9th March 2003, 07:40
2 people voted for nVidia? They have the worse 2D of them all.

Paddy
9th March 2003, 08:27
I always go for the underdog! :)

The PIT
9th March 2003, 09:16
Shows that Matrox still have something going for them. Perhaps they ought to buy the 9700 from ATI and do the drivers until they got another product lined up.

UtwigMU
9th March 2003, 11:08
Now that I have tamed both Millennium and G400 to use Matrox Powerdesk I can say that Matrox dualhead is OK. Since I haven't tried others I will refrain from judging. However I'm mainly sticking to G400 because of image quality and features and stability of drivers.

However Detonators on my 3D Prophet 2MX (singlehead) managed to discover 2nd nonexistant monitor. As I heard recent nVidia's nView improovements are decent and better than Ati's Hydravision.

Perhaps the question should be Who makes 2nd best multimonitor implementation?

Indiana
9th March 2003, 12:43
Originally posted by Nuno
So Im sure Matrox is still king of the hill about multimonitor support, but ATIs hydravision (at least on the 9700) seems rather complete to me, at least in the sense it does everything I tried and it does it correctly.

The same here. The R9700 does all I need with my dual display configuration, the same went for my G400. So I voted for both (the poll allows for multiple selections). I could not vote for NVidia, as I've had LOTS of difficulties to get that damn NView working correctly when I was asked by a freind to configure it at his rig. I've heard NView has gotten better in the meantime, though.

The only thing I'd like to see would be multiple indepent hardware-accelerated video overlays at once on all displays - but the only card that seems to only partially support this is currently the Parhelia (and this is not really an option here with it's price / performance ratio and the sluggish/ CPU intense TVOut).

With the Overlays done by pixel shaders instead of dedicated hardware, I'm sure we will see multiple (nad not just two) independent hardware overlays in the nearer future.

Ali
9th March 2003, 14:12
I have to say Im not as happy with the Hydravision on my 9700Pro as I am with DualHead on my G400 and G450s at work.

The ATI version does work, but is too limited, specially once youve gotten use to Matrox.

My biggest gripe for ATI is the inflexible hotkey setup for window swapping, zooming, etc.

My only experiance of nVidia is my laptop with VERY old drivers, still calls it TwinView. Thats with a Geforce 2 Go on a Dell Inspiron 8000. Its pretty crap (the multi-monitor bit).

Ali