Blasted Radeon/Win2K 60 hz %¤#&!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blasted Radeon/Win2K 60 hz %¤#&!

All I did was switch from the regular connection to the BNC connection on my monitor and now I'm stuck at 60Hz in all resolutions in both 2D/3D, changing the refresh in the monitor tab does absolutely nothing.
    I've tried googling about for a bit, but haven't found anything to solve it.

Any suggestions ?
    "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Likely BNC doesn't support PnP (DDC), so you have to install drivers for monitor.

Comment

I've tried that, and I've set the monitor to 85Hz, but I'm still stuck at 60.

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

You may try this.

Comment

I am playing with that right now, not having much luck though.

I found some references to changing the display properties->advanced->displays->monitor tab, but there's no such tab in my display properties.

I just downloaded the newest powerstrip and every time I try to change my refresh rate it jumps back to a red 60.
          Last edited by CHHAS; 8 March 2003, 06:31.

Comment

I tried changing the cable back and the problem disappeared, so I guess you were right Utwig, I did install the drivers for the monitor though, so I don't know what went wrong.

Comment

Look for a utility named reforce.

Better yet, I´ll attach it. Makes wonders on the 3D 60 Hz refresh rate on 2k/XP. Worked fine with a KyroII/Geforce4/Radeon 9700, so I guess it´ll do the trick for you.

Install the display adapter drivers, run reforce, force whatever refresh rate you want for every resolution and just forget about it.
              Attached Files

Comment

What about Powerstrip?

Powerstrip appears to be still neccessary for refresh lock in games under Win2k, but with custom monitor options in Matrox drivers you could pull it of with Matrox drivers alone for 2D.
                Last edited by UtwigMU; 8 March 2003, 08:47.

Comment

Thanks Nuno, that looks nifty.

I tried Powerstrip without any luck.

Comment

Powerstrip is much more complicated dealing with it, because you need to manually create a monitor profile for each resolution, and you need to have powertrip starting each time with windows.

Reforce is a briliant and simple utility that actually hack your monitor driver in a way that windows only "sees" a refresh rate of 85Hz (or whatever you set it to) for every resolution.

You run it once, and there you go. Keep in mind you need to run it every time you install a new driver for the video card, as windows will install a "new" monitor driver with it.

Monitor drivers is a solution for 2d desktop, but not for 3d. You can use the DirectX refresh rate override for Direct3d but OGL will be 60Hz only.

Anyway, I think latest detonator and catalyst drivers do provide a way to force refresh rates on 3d (it did take a looong time) but reforce actually works so well and simple that I use it every time...

Comment

Try the Omegadrivers, grab them here

Comment

CHHAS, you need to go to the ATI Display properties, here

and change the settings to the ones that your monitor supports. Normally DDC is used to automatically set those values. If no DDC is available (as is with a BNC cable), you have to set those values manually, otherwise 60Hz is supposed as max. possible refresh for safety reasons.
                        And if this is set to 60Hz you will only get 60Hz, regardless of what you choose in the normal windows refresh rate setting...
                        But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                        My System
                        2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                        German ATI-forum

Comment

Yes, but I don't have that tab in my display properties Indiana. I'm running the powered by ATI catalyst 3 drivers and that tab just isn't there.

Comment

Eh? sure is on mine. Sounds like your control panel install is borked try re-installing it.
                            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Yeah, I'm a bit overdue for a complete reinstall anyway, so since things are back to normal now I think I'll just leave it this way until I get around to reinstalling. Thanks for all the help and ideas

Comment

Working...
                              X