X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WD -> 10,000rpm SATA!!!

What the hell...
    This is crazy!!!
    8.4ms actual access time, almost as good as U320! (but not yet)

I'm sure the noise would kill though
    Gotta wait for a Seagate 10k rpm...

P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
    Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
    And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

i'm a bit dissapointed.
    no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

tHAT'S WHY IT'S A bETA sAMPLE.

Dammit left caps lock on, on well.
      Titanium is the new bling!
      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

If you need opinions on disk I would seriously consider looking at storagereview.com .... They only review disks and thus they do make good reviews And they also have a review of the disk... If the release sample doesn't seriously improve on the speed of the disk I would wait for the other manufacturs that have more experience in making 10k disk like Maxtor and Seagate.

Cobos
        My Specs
        AMD XP 1800+, MSI KT3 Ultra1, Matrox G400 32MB DH, IBM 9ES UW SCSI, Plextor 32X SCSI, Plextor 8x/2x CDRW SCSI, Toshiba 4.8X DVD ROM IDE, IBM 30GB 75GXP, IBM 60GB 60GXP, 120GB Maxtor 540X, Tekram DC390F UW, Santa Cruz Soundcard, Eizo 17'' F56 and Eizo 21'' T965' Selfmodded case with 2 PSU's.

Comment

Beta sample it may be but those drives are supposed to be shipping as of now.
          That really doesn't give them long to solve the problems - and they would need a lot of design work to solve those problems.
          Wait for generation 2 SATA drives - that is when things will get interesting.
          It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
          Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

Blah blah blah.

Their QC is horrible on their 7200rpm drives, even the special editions. What makes it better on the SATA? Oh yeah, nothing.

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            I would still get screwed

Comment

Gurm, the drive is not for consumers, it's for workstations and entrylevel servers... next time verify before you rant.

Comment

Originally posted by P5ycho
                Gurm, the drive is not for consumers, it's for workstations and entrylevel servers... next time verify before you rant.
                Reading the review it seems that the drive falls between too stools and comes out as a lemon.
                As for QC I've got no problems with the Western Digitals I've got and they certainly kick IBM's ass.
                At the moment Sata apart from offering tidier case cables and hot swapping isn't offering any speed increases. Is Sata going the same way as AGP x1 x2 x4 x8 modes. Good for selling but doesn't really offer any real world improvement that the end user will really notice in day to day useage.
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

P5ycho:

Doesn't matter. I wouldn't touch WD with a 10-foot pole. I've seen so many WD's fail lately that it makes an inner-city high school look passable.

- Gurm
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                    P5ycho:

Doesn't matter. I wouldn't touch WD with a 10-foot pole. I've seen so many WD's fail lately that it makes an inner-city high school look passable.

- Gurm
                    Okay Gurm what do you use. Me thinks most QC sucks on all manufactures.
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

It doesnt bother me too much that WD drives fail all that much. At least you can get a replacement drive from them unlike IBM who was the king a couple years back.
                      Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

GT98 - even during the peak of the IBM problem the shop i worked saw a lot more WD or Maxtor drives failing... in fact we rarely had IBM's fail... go figure...

i would agree QC on almost all drive manufacturers sucks right now, unless you are buying SCSI... Seagate is probably gonna be the manufacturer of the next HDD i buy, because they are still pretty good on the ATA side of things...
                        "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Originally posted by DGhost
                          GT98 - even during the peak of the IBM problem the shop i worked saw a lot more WD or Maxtor drives failing... in fact we rarely had IBM's fail... go figure...

i would agree QC on almost all drive manufacturers sucks right now, unless you are buying SCSI... Seagate is probably gonna be the manufacturer of the next HDD i buy, because they are still pretty good on the ATA side of things...
                          I reckon it's gotta suck it's the only way they can get you to buy a new drive these days. Unless you're doing Video editing or running every version of Lunix/Unix/Microshaft out there you gonna struggle to fill that 120/200 gig hard drive up.
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Pit, you are forgetting the P2P kiddiez
                            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I'm using Seagate at the moment. Not the fastest, but not the slowest. Damn quiet, and runs cool.

- Gurm

Comment

Working...
                              X