Updating BIOS on original Millennium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updating BIOS on original Millennium

I acquired and installed original Milllennium as secondary PCI videocard (2MB/220MHz RAMDAC), the primary is G400 16 SH.

I'd like to update this card to latest BIOS:

Now Readme says at the DOS prompt. Since I'm running Win2k this means I have no dos.

Uppon copying updbios.exe, progbios.exe and bin files to bootable floppy the software wanted to access C:\something.

I had the program BIOS dip switch enabled.

How do I carry this out short of restoring Win98 image, updating BIOS from MS-DOS mode and restoring Win2k image?

Out of 5 cards (NIC, modem, sound, SCSI, AGP, PCI video) in my system this is the biggest badass card.
    Last edited by UtwigMU; 7 March 2003, 17:39.

download the bios file

format a softdisk for setup disk
    insert the softdisk ,restart from the floopy driver
    in the dos prompt,go into your download bios files directory
    type "updbios" and press "enter"

oh ,Do not forget to alt the swich on the video card which allow writing the bios.
    PC:Intel P4 3G |Intel D875PBZ|Geil PC3200 256MB Golden Dragon x 2| matrox Parhelia-512 R 128MB|Creative SB! Audigy2 Platinum|Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA 120GB x 2 Raid0|WesternDigital WDC WD1200JB-00EVA0|LG 795FT Plus|LG HL-DT-ST RWDVD GCC-4480B|LG HL-DT-ST CD-ROM GCR-8523B|LGIM-ML980|LGIM-K868|SF-420TS
    DataCenter:Intel PIII 450|Intel VC820|Samsung RDRAM PC800 256MB x 2|matrox Millennium G450 DualHead SGRAM 32MB|Adaptec 2940UW|NEC USB2.0 Extend Card|Intel pro100 82557|Samsung Floppy Disk|Fujitsu MAN3367MP|Seagate Barracuda ST136475LW|IBM DTLA-307030|Sony CU5221|SevenTeam ST-420SLP|LGIM-ML980|LGIM-K868

Comment

Tried the above already, not working, because dos diskette cannot acess my NTFS partitions.

I could image my 2k install to another partition, format in FAT or FAT32, restore 98 installation, perform flash from DOS prompt (MS DOS only startup option), nuke 98 and restore 2k from image.

I'm looking for a more elegant solution.
      Last edited by UtwigMU; 8 March 2003, 08:41.

Comment

there's a free NTFS read-only driver (google is you friend ) for DOS. dunno if the update program will need to write anything on disk though...

there should be a way for you to update without needing to access the C: drive though... did you check the various ini files?

Comment

also...if you make an emergency disk with the Matrox util, you can copy about all the files that come with the zipped bios files except the bioses that do not correspond to your card. you should be able to make everything fit onto one floppy. if it doesn't you can always use another one

Comment

I did something in the lines Kurt suggested:

I used VF Editor from Powerquest Driveimage 2k2 to make bootable floppy.

I left only:

IBMBIO.COM
            IBMDOS.COM
            AUTOEXEC.BAT
            CONFIG.SYS
            HIMEM.SYS

on floppy

CONFIG.SYS:
            DOS = HIGH, UMB
            DEVICE = A:\HIMEM.SYS

AUTOEXEC.BAT
            PROMPT $P$G
            SET MGA = A:\MGA\SETUP

I have performed install of MGA utility on C:\MGA\SETUP

I have examined .bin files in notepad and removed files not related to Millennium (Mistique, Mill II, Productiva, G200, etc...)

I have then copied MGA\SETUP to A:\ (floppy) the size of folder is slightly higher than 1MB

I have booted off floppy and executed UPDBIOS.EXE in A:\MGA\SETUP

Powerdesk now lists BIOS 3.0 for Millennium

Disclaimer: If you read or search for this thread and the information provided here screws up your BIOS don't blame me.
            Last edited by UtwigMU; 10 March 2003, 19:51.

Comment

Working...
            X