Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I make VCD and SVCD discs with Marvel 400?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I make VCD and SVCD discs with Marvel 400?

I've been lurking for a while here and on rec.video.desktop and it's obvious that there are many fans of Virtualdub and TMPGEnc and Huffyuv. I might have missed something along the way but I wonder if anyone can help me.

What I want to do is to make VCDs (and perhaps SVCDs) from my old home movies, most of which are on 8mm PAL camcorder tapes). I want to be able to edit the footage I have, add captions, add fades and dissolves. I don't anticipate any need for sophisticated sound editing.

I have a Marvel 400 running in a home made PC with an Athlon 600, 128MB of PC100 RAM, Soundblaster 1024 Live!, 8.4 Gig master (for programs) and 17 Gig slave (for video)drives, running Win 98SE, an internal HP CDRW with Nero 5 (on trial at the moment). I have proved my machine can produce working VCDs OK.

I have toyed with the supplied Avid software and find it slow to import an AVI or render a finished movie. I also think the quality is not that good! It seems to resize captures from Virtualdub.

I have tried a trial version of MGI Videowave3 and found that the program is unstable to the point of frustration! However, I have to say if it worked well without hiccups I would want to use it as it appears to be well laid out - it is very simple to use. However, the real-time encoding of MPEG material is poor.

I have tried a trial version of Ulead VideoStudio4 and find the Wizard is simple but not configurable to record MPEG in real-time. The VS4 otherwise is not user-friendly - I am not sure whether it is worth pursuing.

My final question then is: can anyone recommend inexpensive video editing software which is simple to use, reliable under Win98SE, and doesn't lose quality by resizing my captures when I don't want it to.
    I don't mind editing AVIs instead of MPEGs.

Sorry for the length of the post!

Capturing im MPEG with no hardware compression it gives birth to a result of very poor quality with a lot of artifacts.
    You have to use your capture codec(mjpg) or better yuy2 at 352 x 288 audio cd quality.
    Edit your movie in premiere, and export with Xing Premiere or Panasonic or LSX plugin( setting VCD Pal or NTSC)
    I use Xing with best results.
    Asus A7M266-D
    AMD Dual Athlon XP1800+
    DDR PC2100 512(2 x 256) MB
    Ge Force 2 MX400 - 64 MB
    OHCI 1394 controller
    Panasonic NV-DS15 Pal (DV in enabled)
    HD IBM 60 GXP 7200 rpm 60 GB (system)
    HD WD Caviar 7200 rpm 60 GB

Adobe Premiere 6.01
    Windows XP Pro

Comment