Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Faulty wires or did I do something wrong? Oppinions needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faulty wires or did I do something wrong? Oppinions needed!

Ok here is the deal.... I brought home a new case for my brother yesterday (Chieftec Dragon). We got everything installed, and today the following happens:

We boot the system and after a short while white smoke comes out of the case! We panic and quickly turn the machine off. After looking around a bit we spot the problem..... the wires for the HDD LED, Power LED etc (which is sort of one wire... a lot of wires 'welded' together) have frickin melted!! They got hot and the plastic melted, now leaving two of the wires exposed!!

So my question is this... before I go to the store and scream my head off.... can I assume that this was caused by a faulty wire, or could it be something I connected wrong?

I just got the same case myself and had no problems at all... knock on wood!

Guess it's pretty standard wire but for in any case you can see it here http://www.ripnet-uk.com/RipNet_v2/r...1wd/drgn21.jpg
    Last edited by Chris B; 7 March 2003, 10:48.
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

One scenario that occurs to me is, if the wires melted near where they come through a hole in the case, then one or more of the wires may have chaffed on the hole and grounded to the case (should have blown a circuit breaker in the power supply I think). In this case, the case is faulty (since it includes both the wires and case). Hope nothing else fried.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian R.
      Hope nothing else fried.
      Nope don't think anything else died. Just a lot of smoke and a big scare. Just seemed "weird" to me... I mean I have connected those things wrong a million times before. Worst thing that ever happened was that the power switch didn't work until I connected it properly!
      If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

Its not likely that you did anything wrong..

I have seen a faulty parallel cable blow a mother board (twice!) - one of the IC's blew a small crater in its surface!!!!

However, as Brian says it could have been already freyed....

I wouldnt expect it to blow the PSU fuse though - it take a bit of juice to do that.... The IC that blew (they even made a small bang) didnt actually knock out the PC - just killed the parallel port.....

Its always useful to check all the wires when assembleing a case.... the technician assembleing them could easily snag a bunch.... and remember that many cheap cases have sharp edges...

RedRed
        Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Even after Twenty pints I couldn't manage that.

Can remember driving up the local bypass at high speed when smoke suddenly came out from behingd the dashboard.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Well I just doublechecked to see if there was any cuts on the wires, but the one in question is so messed up that I can't even tell. And as it turns out, it is the 'speaker' wire that's fried.

Comment

The picture doesn't want to load to me but i have seen the exact thing happen already. In a friends computer the HD power cable suddenly started to burn out of the blue. Luckily he leaves his case open all the time so he saw it immediately.
              no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

I've fried a motherboard by doing the short two pins trick to power it up without a case. I had a bit too much to drink and I guess i wasn't as precise as i should have been - I slipped with the screwdriver and shorted out ~4pins.. they glowed horribly.

I straightened out the pins and RMA'd it
                The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I had had those darn front USB cables (connects to an generic "frontcase" usb) burn on me
                  Nowdays those comes with all the cables separated so you can atach them more easily and withut having to guess withc way to plug em
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I can see this happening if you've connected a switch/or possibly speaker (but the speaker would burn first - then the wire) to a source of power (possibly fan power - or anywhere there is +5v/+12v and Ground).
                    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Well I took it to the stroe and RMA'ed the thing. Guess I'll know in a couple days depending on how fast these people work.

I, of course, am possitive that I connected everything correctly. Didn't have a chance to doublecheck though cause my bro took all the hardware out before I returned the case. So guess if it comes to that it'll be my word against theirs

Comment

I've had this happen to me before. I think I connected the speaker wrong and it started smoking when I turned on the PC. Everything was fine though, except for the speaker.

Comment

Working...
                        X