Recommend ISP in Toronto Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend ISP in Toronto Canada

I'm posting this for a friend who is in Toronto.

She's moving, so she needs recommendations for broadband.

Price/performance

Cable or DSL?

What can be had in 512/128-1024/256 range for how much there.

I know that there are plenty of Canadians here so I'm expecting a few good suggestions.

Thank you.

Ant, if this belongs into lounge feel free to move.

The are basically two big broadband providers in Canada. The phone company, Bell Canada, offers DSL under the Sympatico brand. It is approx. 1Mbps down/128Kbps up for about $45/month, with a 10GB/month cap.

The biggest cable company in the country, Rogers, offers high speed cable internet. It is approx 1.5Mbps down/128Kbps up, also for about $45/month, but there are no caps.

You can also get DSL through many smaller ISPs, who just resell the Sympatico service. Check out http://www.canadianisp.com for details of their offerings/prices. It's a good database of ISPs including user ratings. Many of them are cheaper and don't come with bandwidth caps.
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Sympatico
      Sympatico Ultra: 3mb down/640kb up 70$/month.
      Sympatico Normal: 1mb down/128kb up 30$/month.

And you get 5mb of web space.

And you can get antivirus and firewall service for an extra 6$/month a piece.

Rogers

Rogers Hi-Speed Internet: 1.5 Mbps download 192 kbps upload $45/month

Rogers Hi-Speed Lite:128 kbps download 64 kbps upload $30/month

Echo Online
      Residential 1.0Mbps DSL
      Internet always on
      Dedicated high speed line
      Unlimited access
      5 email addresses
      20 MB webspace
      15 GB Transfer limit
      20 hours dial-up access (additional hours $0.95)
      Usenet access (over 30,000 groups)
      From $34.95 per month.
      (Add static IP address for $5 per month)

Residential 3Mbps PPPoE DSL
      Internet always on
      Static IP address
      Unlimited access
      5 email addresses
      20 MB webspace
      15 GB Transfer limit
      From $69.95 per month.

Residential 3Mbps VLAN DSL
      (PPPoE not Required)
      Internet always on
      Static IP address
      Unlimited access
      5 email addresses
      10 MB webspace
      15 GB Transfer limit
      From $109.95 per month

Edit: Yeah yeah, so agallag posted here first, big deal!
      Last edited by ZokesPro; 6 March 2003, 21:29.
      Titanium is the new bling!
      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

I win, nya nya Yours was a little more detailed though...
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

did any of you guys tried echo? i never heard of it, but it sure seems appealing... at least there's no bandwidth limitations. that's the single thing i hate about sympatico

Comment

Not available here in BelleVegas.

Anybody know the difference between PPPoE and VLAN?
            Titanium is the new bling!
            (you heard from me first!)

Comment

I'm still on Rogers. I'm temporarily living in my mom's basement, and my little brother had it already. DSL just recently became available here, and I haven't had the energy to switch.

PPPoE requires special software with win2k and previous (sympatico calls it Access Manager, but there are other PPPoE clients available as well). WinXP and most hardware routers support it natively. It's just another way of managing connections. It basically makes DSL act like a dial-up connection, although it can "dial" in less than a second. It allows them to manange all their users more efficiently (ie. service more users with the same pool of IPs, because there is no DHCP lease time). As soon as you shut down your PC, your IP address is available for other users. The problem is that you will always get a different IP address each time you connect, even if you just reboot.

The VLAN option is more like cable, where it's a standard ethernet connection with DHCP. It's a little more home-server friendly.

Comment

Working...
              X