Custom heat sinks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom heat sinks?

Ok, I'm just throwing this idea around. I've just seperated from a partnership and have inherited a production capable CNC milling machine and all the acutraments as well as CAD/CAM s/w. So, obviously I'm looking at some business/production ideas.
    I am basically at a research level at this point , so I would like to know :
    a: if there was interest in this
    b: what price range third party heatsink companies charge
    c: what applications (cpu/video card/ etc) are most desired
    and
    d: what materials would be desireable

I am only at a discovery stage at the moment, so any comments would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Pat
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

You could think about water blocks maybe?
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Yes that's a thought, there would obviously be a great deal of r&d- making sure it seals properly, longetivity, materials (probably copper - but it is expensive),adaptability, etc.
      great suggestion, thanks!
      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Are you only considering computer related accessories?

Dave
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Open to anything at the moment.
          If anyone has any ideas they would like to develop with me, that's fine too.

Comment

Popular small metal items... hmmm

Car accessories:

- gear shift knobs (aluminum, or maybe steel?)
            - aluminum pedals

Other:

- paperweights

edit: aren't heatsinks usually stamped, or are they actually milled? I've never looked that closely at them.
            Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

most heat sinks are either extruded, or to a small amount cast.
              anything for small production runs would have to be custom milled.

I am not limited to small objects : max size 59x26x26 inches
              can work in any material even hardened steel.

Just throwing idea's around - I'm getting fed up with the automotive industry (I need it yesterday - and I'll pay you in 120 days )

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
                Popular small metal items... hmmm

Car accessories:

- gear shift knobs (aluminum, or maybe steel?)
                - aluminum pedals

Other:

- paperweights
                How about coins?

Comment

Water blocks for video cards would be a reasonble start, CPU's water blocks may be a bit competative at this time.

You might have a bit of cost advantage to some manufactured in other countries

Another speciality item might be bits and pieces for RC stuff. How small/precise can you machine manufacture

Comment

Good luck in your future stuff......

One thing - Have you thought about getting specs together for refits of classic cars? I know I have a devil of a job getting bits here (slave cylander for a '69 Triumph took me weeks! and I had to settle for something similar - rather than a perfect fit.... (which in turn makes the clutch a bit off...)

As I understand it, you just need to have the engenieering dimensions (and maybe an original part!) and off you go..... You dont need to actually produce anything (IE waste) until you get an order.....

You have experience in the automotive industry.... Most sucessfull startups work in areas which they have experience.... You could do limited runs for special intrest groups - (If the price is right) - as many of them (the UK ones anyway) try to build a stock of 'bits'.... They probably dont have as long a lead time between delivery and payment!

If you DO make a custom heatsink/waterblock for an Athlon, I would be happy to try it out!

RedRed
                    Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Over here there is a big market for machine-press tools. A friends' company makes and sells them for 1/4 of what the original company sells them for.

Good Luck.

T.
                      FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman

Another speciality item might be bits and pieces for RC stuff. How small/precise can you machine manufacture
                        The machine itself (mitsubishi MV-70E) is extremely accurate - repeataility to within .0002, however this is a large mahine, so making really small parts could be ackward. What may be more useful in this respect is something like the CNC mini-mill I have set up in my garage to make PCB's and small automotive parts/brackets for my project car.

here's some pics of the mits:

As in anything else, one-off's would be expensive due to initial designing and programming times involved. (However I could be tricked into helping a fellow MURCer )

Thanks again for the suggestions and comments folks!

Comment

custom computer housing front faceplates? or will it be too complex? complete housings would be cool too, but it might take too long to make a single case, or might it?

Comment

How about making rocket parts for John Carmack???
                            Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

no need, he's really only using the spare parts he gets from his old Ferraris...

Comment

Working...
                              X