Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOAB....the next thing in munitions

Massive Ordinance Airburst Bomb.

It's a 21,000 pound explosive with a yeild equivalent to a small tactical nuke. They say it'll be very useful against massed forces and scare the s**t out of everyone else in visual range.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 6 March 2003, 22:03.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Cool, a step above the infamous BLU-82B "Daisy Cutter" (which is NOT a fuel-air explosive, dispite the popular misconception.)

Comment

damn Doc, YOU always come up with these kind of new weopon posts......keep it up

and provide a source (if not classified) too
      Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

According to this article, the MOAB is currently only a conventional explosive (aluminum, ammonium nitrate, styrene) like the Daisy Cutter, just larger. It does not use a parachute and uses satelite guidance.

Last edited by Brian R.; 6 March 2003, 15:07.

Comment

Oh thats the replacement for the Daisy Cutter....no more C-130s and can use a smaller plane like a F-15 or F-16 to drop it. I guess we'll see a couple of these used and EMP bombs used in the next week or two.
          Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

No, it will still be dropped from a cargo plane - probably still a C-130. Far too heavy to be mounted on a wing pylon. Also, too big to fit in a normal bomber bomb bay. It's even larger and heavier than the Daisy Cutter.

Comment

More on the MOAB:

1. it's no longer parachuted. It's dead-dropped

2. it now uses JDAM technology, which makes it much more accurate and allows it to be dropped from higher altitudes

3. instead of being triggered at 1 meter off the ground like the BLU-82B it's exploded higher up to maximize the blast area

4. they will be used in the upcoming conflict

5. for pure theatrics they've put in some "extra's" that make a huge mushroom cloud when it detonates

6. the unofficial acronym decipher is "Mother Of All Bombs"

ABC NEWS says this;
              The MOAB's massive explosive punch, sources say, is similar to a small nuclear weapon.

It is intended to obliterate a command center hidden in tunnels and bunkers or a concentration of Iraqi tanks.

Whatever the target, it must be far from cities where civilians might be hurt. But one important aspect of using this type of weapon, sources say, will be psychological impact on enemy troops. It is intended to terrorize Iraqi troops, drastically reducing their desire to continue the fight.
              No s**t!!

There is also another new bomb coming that is supposed to be similar to the BLU-82 in power but haulable on larger framed fighters, B2's and B52's.

That one's not in the press much though....

Dr. Mordrid
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 6 March 2003, 21:40.
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
              X