Cable telephone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable telephone?

Anyone here using cable telephone? Cox Cable here in Wichita is supposed to start offering it next month from what I hear, and it's WAY cheaper than SWB.

[edit] Moved it from General Hardware/Software, figured it wasn't computer related enough [/edit]
    Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 5 March 2003, 16:58.

I used it for a while, before I just decided to forget my land line alltogether and went wireless.
    It worked fine, but I did notice a little crosstalk, and could occasionally hear voices and/or radio stations off in the distance.
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Ok, I'll keep that in mind. We were going to just go wireless too, until we heard about them getting ready to start that up here in town.

Comment

Yeah, the multiple-service-over-broadband services are pretty decent. VERY cheap, but as Kruzin said there IS crosstalk. Great if you're a voyeur, but irritating as hell if you like private calls.

Plus as he said (and as I discovered a few years back) if you're in a big enough city that they offer those services, you're also in a big enough city that digital cellular sounds as good as a land line. And is WAY cheaper.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

It is really convenient, well b/c you get everything over one line, ya know...a bit annoying on cross talk and all that stuff, but overall a pretty good deal considdering the price. wireless is cool and as one salesman put it to me "The wave of the future!" (I left very soon there after )

~Sethos
          "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

I guess it is not Voice Over IP then to hear crosstalk.

Comment

Hmm, I haven't had any experience with this tech. However, I'm <B>damn</B> sure that I'd rather have AT&T Wireless's tech support talking to me, rather than Comcast's.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

We have cable phones, but it's not VoIP.....just multiplexed over the cable line with the TV and internet service. There is a daughtercard in our outside box that splits off the phone for separate routing.

Dr. Mordrid
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

It's gonna be VoIP here, so the crossover problem shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon P. Inghram
                    It's gonna be VoIP here, so the crossover problem shouldn't be a problem.
                    Does your cable provider already oversell their service? Dropped packets and lag would really suck on the phone.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

It's on it's own "channel", like digital cable TV isn't effected by internet problems.

Comment

Yeah, digital cable has its own host of problems.

You're still not making me feel any better about this....

Comment

I have had digital cable here (NTL) for a couple of years..... No problems here - yet..... its a bit cheaper than coper phones & broadband & satelite- where you can get it - in Northern Ireland......

Get some of the SKY channels, cheap phone & broadband.....

RedRed
                          Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Well, let's put it this way...

My land-line never has "outages".

Cable and Cable Modems have "outages".

Do you really want your phone to go down because some ****nut messed up the routing?

- Gurm
                            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                            I would still get screwed

Comment

Cable outages? Never happens! That's a good point though. If we follow Oklahoma Cities price plan, it'll be about $18 dollars a month. We've got a cell phone that's not activated, we'll see if there's any services that can get close to that.

Comment

Working...
                              X