Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finland got best Freshwater in the world!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finland got best Freshwater in the world!

UN World Water Development Report 2003

The report ranks 122 countries according to the quality of their water as well as their ability and commitment to improve the situation (see chart).

The list of countries with the best quality is headed by Finland followed by Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Japan, Norway, Russian Federation, Republic of Korea, Sweden and France.

Belgium is considered the worst basically because of the low quantity and quality of its groundwater combined with heavy industrial pollution and poor treatment of wastewater. It is followed by Morocco, India, Jordan, Sudan, Niger, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Central African Republic and Rwanda.
    no matrox, no matroxusers.

I'll drink to that!

* fetches a glass of water *

Edit: I, like all cool guys around the world, drink my water from a glass decorated by Winnie the Pooh and Piglet.
    Last edited by Tempest; 5 March 2003, 10:51.

Comment

According to the chart, I have reasons to worry...luckily it's only an average...
      In reality, where I live we have very good water - from ultra deep water source
      Even better, my grandfather co-designed the pumps - after half of the century and city grown x2 in number of citizens and waaay more in average high of building they're still doing what they suppose to...
      Too bad that from my grandfather I know also that their design is...fragile for electricity cut-offs. Simply put - they won't "restart" themselves...:P Luckily that doesn't happen too often anymore...

Comment

Water...good...

Comment

hmm.. yea Canada is second i am happy

Comment

I never drink water...fish copulate in it

Coke rulz for me.
            All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

Hehe Tempest - I've got a glass just like that one
              DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Err... MEXICO isn't on that list of bad water?

How are they doing the calculating? Drinking the ground water in Mexico virtually GUARANTEES you a disease.

Nice detective work, people.

- Gurm

P.S. Finland does have good water. And vodka.
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                If only life were as easy as you
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                I would still get screwed

Comment

Mexico is 106/122, i guess thats not so good either. And btw. Vodka (Wódka) means small/little Water - coincidence in Finland?

Comment

Originally posted by GNEP
                    Hehe Tempest - I've got a glass just like that one
                    See? That proves my theory! (Then again, we MIGHT be the guys that receive only cheap and meaningless presents )

Gurm: Well, Finlandia Vodka is like 80% American and 20% Finnish today...

Comment

*Singing*

"I'm singin' in the Finnish water, just singin' in the Finnish"

~Sethos
                      "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

The report ranks the countries according to their resources in fresh water not the quality.

Comment

Canada maybe second place in the world but in my city, the water tastes so bad it's addictive. You drink enough of it and you start to crave the oil/dirt/toxic waste/dead fish/metallic taste of it.

The Bay of Quinte is so polluted it's not funny.

The decision of The Honourable Madam Justice Celine Dorval will be rendered on pollution charges laid against the Ontario Government by Kingston environmentalist Janet Fletcher of the Environmental Bureau of Investigation (EBI). The charges allege that heavy metal emissions including arsenic, nickel, and cobalt released from a government?controlled former industrial site in the town of Deloro in Eastern Ontario have damaged the Moira River and Young's Creek, two water courses that ultimately drain into the Bay of Quinte.

The Bay of Quinte was identified in 1985 by the International Joint Commission as a Great Lakes Area of Concern due to poor water quality. Pollution problems included too much algae, closed beaches, contaminated sediments and loss of fish habitats. To provide solutions, the Bay of Quinte Remedial Action Plan (BQRAP) was started in 1986.

The park was filled with people – couples strolling, young people roller-blading, families playing near the water. Unfortunately, the park also smelled terrible. A series of algae-covered stormwater ponds were discharging into the lake and the odour was very, um, “ripe.”
                          The trail is really beautiful (great for rollerblading) but you can't really take a date there. She'll puke her guts out as soon as she takes a whiff of the air. And the dozens upon dozens of dead fish on the shore isn't very appetizing either. And the water treatement plant is just a few km's up the trail too.

(picture of trail is in last link, the last one down)

The main cause of Belleville's pollution is from The Bakelite
                          Manufacturing Plant (chemical products).
                          Last edited by ZokesPro; 6 March 2003, 09:38.
                          Titanium is the new bling!
                          (you heard from me first!)

Comment

The report ranks the countries according to their resources in fresh water not the quality.
                            there are two rankings, efty.

Comment

Ahh. Well Mexico ought to score pretty low regardless.

I think the presence of gut-rotting parasites ought to count double, honestly. Automatic "F".

- Gurm
                              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                              I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                              X