Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Right after I walk on water... (help please!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right after I walk on water... (help please!)

This is a request I got today:

...put up a webpage containing this info and ... ensure that the whole thing can't be copied wholesale (i.e.
    downloaded, copied, printed etc) to prevent it circulating.

Anyone got any bright ideas? I've seen it done with maps before. There won't be a budget for this, and passwords are a last resort.

TIA.

Tony.
    FT.

I've seen this on some site with pictures of paintings. The picture was black on a screen capture. You had to download some plugin or sth. though that came with it's own dlls etc. to see the pictures in the first place.

There is no easy way though.
    Last edited by thop; 5 March 2003, 10:07.
    no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

dunno mate.. but I want to see it!
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Flash?
        Titanium is the new bling!
        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

We are talking Psychology students here, so maybe just hiding the menu & tool bars, and disabling right-clicking would be enough?
          FT.

Comment

LOL

Embed it in some Java Applet, only thing that will work is a screen capture.
            no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro
              Flash?
              I could do Flash. Hmmm....
              FT.

Comment

Originally posted by thop
                LOL

Embed it in some Java Applet, only thing that will work is a screen capture.
                Java..Hmmm, another learning curve! I don't want to give myself a major headache just because one lecturer is paranoid
                FT.

Comment

Well, you really can't stop people from getting the information once it is on the web, but you can make it difficult. Use JavaScript to disable the right click and the menu bar. For examples on this go to a site that sells backgrounds or art (this is where it is generally used). You can also use frames as they are another way to hide the url of sub pages. But again this is just to inconvenience people. If you are serious about keeping control of the data, then you really need to go with a secure site.
                  -We stop learning when We die, and some
                  people just don't know They're dead yet!

Member of the COC!
                  Minister of Confused Knightly Defence (MCKD)

Food for thought...
                  - Remember when naps were a bad thing?
                  - Remember 3 is the magic number....

Comment

Ta for all the suggestions.

@Duty - when you say 'secure site', can you elaborate please?
                    FT.

Comment

The only way you're going to be able to manage to do this is to control all the computers that they are accessing the page from.

It takes a whole lot of work to disable the OS's screen capture abilities. Whoever wants you to do this is SOL. Tell them that they should just keep a paper copy themselves, and have people come view it.
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                        Tell them that they should just keep a paper copy themselves, and have people come view it.
                        Oh I wish! These days we have to make sure lecture material is available on the web incase any of the little darlings can't make it. I think his request probably contravenes our accessability guidelines anyway, so as you say, SOL!
                        FT.

Comment

You could make the pictures show up on an overlay, but that's insane.

Comment

Yeah, make your own video format and your own plugin that shows the information only from that web address. Do triple-checks that the player really is using an overlay. Make it modal, and don't forget passwords, digital rights management and all that stuff.

Really, this seems to be just another request by a person who doesn't know how impossible it is. If disabling right-click isn't enough for him, just make a Flash movie out of it, then you can tell him that it's now "impossible to hack"

<small>(heck, even I know how to "edit" protected Flash movies)</small>

Comment

What does "SOL" mean?

Comment

Working...
                              X