Longhorn leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longhorn leak

The article discusses WinFS, MS's successor to NTFS. I'm not sure if this was supposed to be the new version of NTFS or whatever it was that was supposed to be launched with XP, but it sounds pretty unique. And a little scary.

A review of the newest leak by good ol' Pauly Thurrot:

Gathering the right people, content and resources, IT Pro gives professionals insight into the technologies and skills needed to take on the challenges
    All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

ZDnet: http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-990912.html

Anyone daring enough to try it?

Jammrock
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Gimme 6 more hours and I'll dare
        All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

I'm not saying anything....oh wait, I just did.
          System Specs:
          Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
          May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
          Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
          And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
          just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
          For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

You have to be really brave or have a spare system to try a beta leaked OS from MS

Comment

I have a buddy who's currently running the Longhorn Beta. He loved XP and ever since he's tried Longhorn he says he'll never go back to XP.

Not sure how good his word is though.
              Titanium is the new bling!
              (you heard from me first!)

Comment

The last thing i'd want to do is mess up my installation with this.
                no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Looks even worse then XP!
                  According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

honestly you're friend is rather insane if he thinks that this is better than XP. In fact, it is pretty much Windows Server 2003 + Modified UI + little bits of what is to come + bug fixes. Either the features are in there and the UI doesn't yet expose it entirely, or the features are not finished yet.

trust me when I say this looks and acts nothing like Longhorn will when its released.

It does, however, remind me of the early Windows 98 betas. For the longest time it looked like Win95C (or was it D?). sure there were some kernel improvements, but it pretty much just looked like someone replaced all occurances of "Windows 95" with "Memphis", and installed IE4 on it w/ the explorer integration turned on.
                    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Originally posted by Guru
                      Looks even worse then XP!
                      The alphas never look even close to the finished product. Just look at XP when it was in alpha....
                      System Specs:
                      Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Comment

Originally posted by DGhost
                        It does, however, remind me of the early Windows 98 betas. For the longest time it looked like Win95C (or was it D?). sure there were some kernel improvements, but it pretty much just looked like someone replaced all occurances of "Windows 95" with "Memphis", and installed IE4 on it w/ the explorer integration turned on.
                        So what is the difference between win98 beta and win98 final?

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro
                          I have a buddy who's currently running the Longhorn Beta. He loved XP and ever since he's tried Longhorn he says he'll never go back to XP.

Not sure how good his word is though.
                          He has a beta? Or an alpha? Don't see how he could think the alpha is better than XP....sheesh, it's worse IMO. But that's to be expected of an alpha.
                          System Specs:

Comment

Topha: hehe, mostly color scheme changes. from a UI perspective, they added some a bunch of other little things that honestly i cannot remember most of them at the moment. I know they replaced all the icons with 256 color versions, made some improvements in the control panels, integrated theme support, etc etc...

Zokes/BuddMan - lol, yeah... when it hits beta it might acctually be something worth writing home about... generally microsoft products have to be mostly feature complete before they will be declared as a Beta.
                            "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

In Longhorn, Microsoft plans to introduce a new file system with enhanced storage capabilities. Known as Windows Future Storage (WinFS), the new means for storing, accessing or indexing files will replace NTFS and FAT32, the predecessors used by Windows XP. The file system is intended to make it easier to find information, no matter where it is stored or in what form.
                              This sounds really scary....

The Longhorn shell is the one area in build 4008 in which you can see steady improvements. My suspicion is that Microsoft is working slowly toward the inclusion in Longhorn of WinFS (Windows Future Storage), the new file system that's based on SQL Server "Yukon" technology. The goal is that the file system will abstract storage for the user, so we no longer need to worry about where data is stored. This change will provide two obvious improvements: First, it will be possible to search contextually ("Show me all of my vacation photos" rather than a search by file name, which is often pointless in the context of digital photos). Secondly, WinFS will unify all of today's disparate data stores. In the future, we won't need separate containers for email, corporate data, Word documents and other data files, and so on. If you search for "Paul Thurrott" in Longhorn, you will retrieve email I've sent to you, documents that contain my name, my Contacts listing, relevant photographs, music I like, and so forth, all in a single, fell swoop. Supposedly.

This makes me almost wanna puke
                              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                              X