Taipei 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taipei 101

The Taipei 101 Tower in Taiwan is gonna be the highest building in the world soon (2004) with a total height of 508m. The most fascinating thing it about it is probably the massive ball (steel, plated with gold) weighing 730 tons that will be swinging freely inside the tower to stabilize it.

You can see it in the upright picture here:
    no matrox, no matroxusers.

The CN tower in Toronto is still taller at 553m (1,815.5 feet). It's not considered in the running because it's not an office building. It's just the tallest "free standing structure". It was finished in 1975.

Last edited by agallag; 4 March 2003, 14:55.
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

How does the ball keep it stable?
      How are they gonna get a 730 ton ball up there?
      Wouldn't it scare you to know that the 730 ton ball could fall at any time?

Comment

That would be like being afraid a car will hit you everytime you're outside...

Comment

Almost every skyscraper built in the last few decades has a large counterweight. This is not a new concept, and it's nothing to be afraid of. The only real complication is making sure that it handles earthquakes, and they've got that taken care of as well.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Yes. In Taiwan, earthquakes are not an insignificant threat. I wouldn't want to be close to that thing in an 8.0 quake, no matter how heavy its ball is or how low it hangs.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
              Yes. In Taiwan, earthquakes are not an insignificant threat. I wouldn't want to be close to that thing in an 8.0 quake, no matter how heavy its ball is or how low it hangs.
              I read an article that they designed it to survie a 2500 year event earthquake. Sorta like a hundred year flood line?
              Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

speaking of taiwan and earthquakes...

anyone remembered few years ago there was a huge earthquake in central taiwan? (i think it was around 5 yrs ago).

yea and i think it was around 8.0

Comment

Date-Time 1999 09 20 17:47:18 UTC
                  Location 23.77N 120.98E
                  Depth 33.0 kilometers
                  Magnitude 7.7
                  Region TAIWAN
                  Reference 35 miles (50 km) WSW of Hua-lien, Taiwan

Comment

yep, then ram got very expensive for quite a while

Comment

Problem is they're I nice Target aren't they. How easy is it to get people out????
                      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

bugger it....remember people last year the cranes from that tower fell down and wooped some peoples?
                        Guess wot...those p.o.s. cranes come from australia~
                        Happy engineering australia (ohhhh how i hate it)

Comment

Check Millennium tower (Hong Kong) proposal by Norman Foster. Or check the new WTC proposal.

Although, I'm with Jencks here: bigger the building, lower architectural value.

Comment

Taiwan is less likely to get a terrorist attack. (Okay chinese invasion doesn't count besides, I bet the chinese government will never attack Taiwan anyways. Yea. they have been speaking about it, but to actually do the action, I doubt that. They won't risk to screw their crazy booming economy up)

IMO the China Bank (in Hong Kong) by I.M. Pai is one of a kind and I love it. Seems like he really like to use triangular structures for his building. (Also note the glass pyramid outside Musee du Louvre).

Speaking of the HK Millennium Tower, i think it's pure madness

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
                              How does the ball keep it stable?
                              How are they gonna get a 730 ton ball up there?
                              Wouldn't it scare you to know that the 730 ton ball could fall at any time?
                              still...thats better then two 730 ton balls over your head (AC/DC any one)
                              "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Working...
                              X