Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L33t Speak leaves teacher baffled

Girl baffles teacher with SMS essay

LONDON (Reuters) - An English essay written by a teenager in text messaging short-hand has reignited concern among teachers that literacy standards are under threat.
    The Daily Telegraph newspaper reported on Monday that the 13-year-old's teacher could not decipher what the youngster had written.

"I could not believe what I was seeing. The page was riddled with hieroglyphics, many of which I simply could not translate," the teacher told the newspaper.

The teenager's essay which caused the problem began:

"My smmr hols wr CWOT. B4, we used 2go2 NY 2C my bro, his GF & thr 3 :- kids FTF. ILNY, it's a gr8 plc."

In translation:

"My summer holidays were a complete waste of time. Before, we used to go to New York to see my brother, his girlfriend and their three screaming kids face to face. I love New York. It's a great place."

Judith Gillespie, of the Scottish Parent Teacher Council, told the newspaper a decline in grammar and written English was partly linked to the text messaging craze.

"Pupils think orally and write phonetically," she said.
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Flunk him.

If school systems start refusing to give diplomas to the illiterate, maybe they won't make it onto college football teams.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

The fact that someone would even dare to submit such a piece of garbage to a teacher is indicative of a real problem. Money says this brat was not trying to get a rise out of anyone, but just being a moron and thought this was perfectly normal. He ought to be caned in front of the class to bring them all back to reality.

Oh, the hell with it.. let him get away with it.. Western Civilization has been liberalized to the point that it has become a complete flab monster, and we are in the process of being overrun by the Osamas of the World at the invitation telegraphed by our weak-mindedness. Screw it, let's all just give up.. no one gives a damn about anything anymore anyway.

Comment

Ijit....I think there's a place for everything-one of the things u learn in school is not to write the way u WANT to in quizes&essays, but the way u SHOULD...I hate formal education and I see it just as a necessary evil in getting a piece of paper and a job, the only thing it really teaches u is how to get along in society, 'cause let's face it, you study what you WANT to study and ignore the rest or forget all about it once you finish school. You need a diploma to get a job, but you need your personal, heavily-practiced skills for keeping that job...it's not the hours you spend in school that get you educated, it's the late-night reading/tinkering....at least that's the way it was and will be for me.
        All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

Originally posted by lecter
          Ijit....I think there's a place for everything-one of the things u learn in school is not to write the way u WANT to in quizes&essays, but the way u SHOULD...I hate formal education and I see it just as a necessary evil in getting a piece of paper and a job, the only thing it really teaches u is how to get along in society, 'cause let's face it, you study what you WANT to study and ignore the rest or forget all about it once you finish school. You need a diploma to get a job, but you need your personal, heavily-practiced skills for keeping that job...it's not the hours you spend in school that get you educated, it's the late-night reading/tinkering....at least that's the way it was and will be for me.
          Well I wish I worked harder at school as I would be a lot better off now. Quiet a few of my friends say the same. If you regret being taught about how to get along theres something seriously wrong in your attitude. Sure one of the problems in school is lack of discipline which makes it hard to learn it also up to the teacher to make the subject interesting so that you want to learn it.
          Got to admit I dropped History, Music, Eng lit (As you can see) as they wouldn't help me to get a job. I would have also liked to drop PE and German and use that time to improve my other skills.
          Also got to admit never really used my degree basically it's a replacement for my lack of A levels becuase I didn't work hard enougth while at school.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I often get email from the little darlings that have absolutely no punctuation and are littered with text-isms. You can guarantee those are the ones that aren't even signed and are probably rude. First instinct is to send it back and ask for a translation into English.

I gave my first student lecture last night, to ~300 first years. Its not what I would normally think of as being part of my job, but we are now obliged to make sure they get certain IT skills (This is a computer...this is how to paste...). I'd say 10-20% of the little shits didn't stop talking the whole time. Where do they get this attitude from? In my day you wouldn't dare.
            FT.

Comment

If you regret being taught about how to get along theres something seriously wrong in your attitude.
              Hey, I didn't say that....I see this aspect as one thing school IS good for...another would be helping you find the stuff you're talented in...but all this doesn't require 12 compulsory years+uni.

Comment

Tony, I've seen it myself, if the subject is interesting no one talks...what you should do is just make attendance more liberal, so that those 20% don't show up in the first place.

Comment

Sure, some of them will already know some of what I was saying, but that's not the point. Its just damn rude, spoils it for others sitting near them and distracts the lecturer. Next time, I might start asking them to come and give the lecture

BTW, attendance is compulsory. Its one of those things that might sway a decision if they are borderline.
                  FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Andrews
                    I often get email from the little darlings that have absolutely no punctuation and are littered with text-isms. You can guarantee those are the ones that aren't even signed and are probably rude. First instinct is to send it back and ask for a translation into English.

I can't comment on that.

I gave my first student lecture last night, to ~300 first years. Its not what I would normally think of as being part of my job, but we are now obliged to make sure they get certain IT skills (This is a computer...this is how to paste...). I'd say 10-20% of the little shits didn't stop talking the whole time. Where do they get this attitude from? In my day you wouldn't dare.

Ah just chuck em out. You can't hit the little shits so chuck em out then they'll whine that they haven't learn't anything

Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by lecter
                      Hey, I didn't say that

Okay doke. Sorry.
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

once upon a time, before people could write fast on typewriters/computers, someone invented shorthand. a lot of people couldn't read it.

now, people don't have the time to type long texts on mobile phones, so they adapt their writing skills.

once technology will allow "better suited" mobiles...

mfg
                        wulfman
                        "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                        "Lobsters?"
                        "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                        "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

I remember seeing a rehearsal of the Boston Pops Orchestra when Arthur Fiedler was still conductor. He dealt with grown musicians like they were first graders. Trying to go through some passage, he noticed some musicians yakking in the back and thundered, "STOP TALKING!" That just took me by surprise, but he was from the old school.. you remember the old school? When there was discipline, everyone knew their place, and European Civilization ruled the world as a consequence.

Things have gone steadily downhill since women were given the vote. The feminization of all public policy has made society soft. This is the real world, you know, and in the real world it is kill or be killed. Translated into psycho-sexual terms, that means fvck or be fvcked.. dominate or be dominated. It is the masculine nature to dominate and the feminine to be dominated, just as it is the nature of authority figures (teachers, parents, drill sargents) to dominate their charges so the little shites will learn how to survive in the real world. Since feminine attitudes have pervaded this authority, it has become non-authority.. teachers no longer have any respect because they are required by feminized society to be soft on their students. That's why those kids don't listen to you, Tony.. this is the first generation that has grown up with absolutely no discipline whatsoever.. people born in the seventies, after their parents had all smoked pot and decided it was better to BE fvcked than to fvck.

Guess what? This is why Islamic society is treatening to take over. They have stayed strong because their women know their place in society. They see us as a bunch of passive cows all bent over, ready to be slaughtered.. and we are.

Comment

I like the Old School.

Lecter, stop to think about this - there's a REASON that 12 years of school are mandatory. There's almost nothing in there that you don't really need.

History? You need it. Sadly, nobody knows history. The recent madness in TSB (hence our lovely home here in the Lounge) has taught us that 90% of Europeans know ZERO about history. The number, sadly, is closer to 95% in America.

Math? You need it. You really really need it. I swear they need to make calculus compulsory. If you can't do calculus, you can't have a job. Honestly. I'm going a little overboard because I'm math biased. But honestly you NEED math. As much as you can get. Especially for a career in computers or engineering.

Sciences? You need 'em. Do you need to remember every little thing about Biology? No, of course not. But it's good to have learned it in the first place. You know how life is categorized. People who don't study Biology end up lumped in with the idiots who don't know the definition of "life" and shoot abortion doctors.

Languages? You NEED these. I'm sorry I never got fluent in Russian... but I still recall most of my Latin and Greek. We're the only country in the world where 95+% of our population only speaks one language (poorly).

English? Well, we OBVIOUSLY need that. I read your post. No offense, but you border on illiterate, man.

- Gurm
                            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

KvH,

Err... you're getting a little too Freudian there.

And frankly, Freud's work was very valid - for repressed Austrian guys, around middle age, with a fixation on their own mother and closeted homosexual desires. For everyone else, it was bullshit.

- Gurm

Comment

Working...
                              X