ATI R9800 PRO... 400Mhz Core and 460Mhz DDR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI R9800 PRO... 400Mhz Core and 460Mhz DDR

FIC f*cked up and listed the specs in their Cebit info here : http://www.fic.com.tw/aboutfic/press....aspx?pr_id=91

FIC is now producing a huge range of advanced video cards based on ATI technology. New additions to the range include the A98 and A98P based on the ATI Radeon 9800 and 9800 Pro graphics engines respectively. The A98 and A98P both feature 400MHz RAMDAC, 8 pipeline architecture, 256 bit data width, 512Kb of serial flash ROM, AGP 8X/4X/2X compatibility, TV-out, support for simultaneous dual displays and DirectX 9.0/OpenGL support. In addition, the A98 will support 128MB of DDR memory and a core/memory clock speed of 325/310MHz. The A98P will support up to 256MB of DDR memory and has a core/memory clock speed of 400/460MHz.

Hey MATROX.. thats how to make GREAT graphics cards.

PeTe

Would games benefit from going from my Radeon 9000 (non-pro) to that 9800 Pro, even if I stay with my PIII-700@840?
    Umf
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

You can always enable FSAA and Aniso, but you'll miss out on all the power if you don't upgrade your CPU. The fastest CPU's today are more than 3 times more powerfull than yours and those make the latest graphic chips shine.

Comment

depends. in real life probably not tho...

3D mark 03, on the other hand, is very gfx card independent...

LOL FIC pulled it

Noitce that 9800 will not be using DDRII... probably because DDRII isn't completely "finalized"

I guess 9900 should be using DDRII.

Although I am not trying to defend Matrox or anything, but Matrox's "engineering approch" IMO is better than ATI's engineers. For example, FAA is a good idea. It makes more sense to detect lines that needs AA rather than bluring out the whole screen. The problem with Matrox is they do not have enough resources to achieve what they set out to do, which reseults in the buggy FAA technique, banding etc...

Matrox's electronices are very high quality tho...

Comment

The thing is that the 9900 will have so much brutal raw power that it can do FSAA easily. And the final word is still not spoken if FSAA really works like intended.
          no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

9900pro = 9800pro + 128mb

Comment

So if I get this correct, I would benefit more from upgrading my PIII-700@840 to, say, an Athlon XP 1800+ with an Nforce2 mb and 2x256 DDR2700 ram than from upgrading my Radeon 9000 to a 9800Pro? (have to see which is more expensive)
              Umf
              Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
              [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Chrono_Wanderer
                Although I am not trying to defend Matrox or anything, but Matrox's "engineering approch" IMO is better than ATI's engineers. For example, FAA is a good idea. It makes more sense to detect lines that needs AA rather than bluring out the whole screen. The problem with Matrox is they do not have enough resources to achieve what they set out to do, which reseults in the buggy FAA technique, banding etc...

Matrox's electronices are very high quality tho...
                I hear ya. Matrox has a good idea, but poor execution. When is the 9800 due out? Another week or two?

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend
                  So if I get this correct, I would benefit more from upgrading my PIII-700@840 to, say, an Athlon XP 1800+ with an Nforce2 mb and 2x256 DDR2700 ram than from upgrading my Radeon 9000 to a 9800Pro? (have to see which is more expensive)
                  Umf
                  Hey you don't just play games, you work too!
                  So upgrade your platform.
                  P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                  Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                  And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

"Guessing" the launch is wednesday and im sure that ATI will try to beat NVidia to the shops.. and since many shops have reported that 01.04 is the date when FX is actually available... well you do the math .

Pe-Te

Comment

Originally posted by why
                      Hey you don't just play games, you work too!
                      Where on earth did you get that idea?
                      In any case, there is no reason whatsoever to upgrade anything in connection with anything else than games in my case. I'd really like to know which alternative will allow me to run Fighter Ace at 16x12, details to the max. (FSAA/FAA/AF I cn do without though).
                      Umf

Comment

Ok, so is this R350? (I struggle to keep up with codewords now )
                        Meet Jasmine.
                        flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Originally posted by Pace
                          Ok, so is this R350? (I struggle to keep up with codewords now )
                          Yep, methinks it goes like this:

9600 = RV350 64 MB, 9600 Pro = RV350 128 MB (?)
                          9800 Pro = R350
                          9900 Pro = R350 with 256 MB of memory (released later, so other tweaks also possible)

Edit: BTW, there's a rumour circling the net saying that the mem speed is a typo, and that it actually should be 360 MHz..?
                          Last edited by Tempest; 4 March 2003, 12:10.

Comment

That would make more sence.

Comment

Well, here is Sapphire's page for their R9800PRO:

Doesn't say anything about clock speeds though, and the brochure isn't available yet...

Comment

Working...
                              X