X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Java 2 Runtime/SDK Update available

Release Notes!

Download!
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

more programming ahead

Comment

Yes, there is a HUGE problem with Sun's runtime, and with programs that use it, not recognizing your older/newer runtimes.

Many Java programs say "we require Java 1.3.1" and if you have 1.4.0 installed they say "no Java found" and try to install 1.3.1, and set it as default, which of course breaks all your 1.4.0 programs.

I'll stick with MS's runtime, thanks. It ... ahem ... works.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Hmmm Sun more reliable than their Arch rival. Doesn't look like it.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Not only that but Sun's runtime is sooooooooooooopah slow.

Slow like mud.

Slow like molasses.

That reminds me of a joke. This papa mole, mama mole... erm nevermind.

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

In the Sun Java control panel you can tell it NOT to handle IE.

- Gurm

Comment

Side by side? As in "look, MS's runtime works" and "look, sun's runtime fires up extra windows, a tray icon, and then craps out"?

I'm being a shit, actually. Sun's runtime is far more compliant. It's just slooooooow. Like watching paint dry slow.

- Gurm

Comment

I finally got around to replacing my runtime. This version is MUCH faster for me. Applets are loading much more quickly, and the runtime isn't messing up all my other processes when it fires up.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

No MS runtime for me, no matter how fast it is, thanks. But then, I'm one of those people who doesn't use IE...

AZ
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

That's not an MS runtime, it's from Sun. And it works fine for Phoenix.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I was just responding to Gurm, kind of

So, this new runtime's noticeably better? Might upgrade to it when I upgrade Opera

AZ

Comment

Maybe my old 1.4 install was buggy or something, but this one is like 1000 times better for me.

Comment

In Opera, I've had many problems with "Applet Crashed" and "Invalid Bytecode" - though I think this might be more due to people not using "proper" Sun Java, than Problems with my JRE's?

AZ

Comment

Working...
                          X