Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seagate 15K.3 Layman Review

For those who are interested:

Just got my Seagate 15K.3 18Gb HD and hooked it up. I don't have a lot to compare it against except form my two Quantum (now maxtor) Atlas 10K (yep, the originals) at 9 and 18GB. Only three things to note really:
    1. The seagate is faster (yeah, go figure)
    2. It is really, really much less noisy. The Quantums (newer Atlas 10Ks may be quiter, watch it) I have make some noise when idle, and when they're active, MAN, they go wild in gettin lift-off. The seagate, I hardly hear it, if at all, and that is with case open! (which means the various standard Aopen PS fan, PIII-fans etc outnoise the Seagate by far. I've heard some complain about the noise these 10K and 15K drives make, but this baby is a-ok (in my book).
    3. It gets less warm then them old Atlasses, but I don't think it differs a lot.

Gonna save a bit and get me a 36gb one as well and ditch them old quantums for good.
    Umf

P.S. I also found the best way to un-install ATi drivers. I've had all problems with updating drivers. Format C: and rebuild does the trick alright, provided u install the updated drivers right away, not after installing an older first.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Seagate are using new technology in their drives.

Oil filled bearings or some such. Very quiet, yes.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Hehe, I have this drive...but mine is 36GB. Yes, it is quiet, I can't even hear it in my watercooled case.
      System Specs:
      Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
      May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
      Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
      And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
      just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
      For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

Working...
      X