Let's Talk About Donnie Darko

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's Talk About Donnie Darko

Yes, indeed. Your thoughts on the movie. Did you like it? Do you know what it all means?? Hehe, I won't give out my thoughts yet, I just want to see what other people say. And if you haven't seen it.....you should be stoned to death.
    System Specs:
    Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
    May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
    Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
    And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
    just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
    For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

The website tried to be cool, but kinda missed. I hear the movie is not even as good as that.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

You heard wrong.
      System Specs:
      Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Comment

It's a good movie, I just watched it last thursday. It's a movie that lets you wondering from start to finish.
        Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
        Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
        Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Never eard of it.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

it's pretty well done from the point of view of creating a movie with a 'special' atmosphere as they did.

I didn't like it particularly for the story, and the ending sucked.

Comment

The rabbit is nice, some other parts are nice. The theme song is great. Other than that a bit above average.
              no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Heh, I am surprised no one knows much about the movie.

Ok, let me explain a bit about it. A lot of it is explained in the book in the movie, "The Philosophy of Time Travel," by Roberta Sparrow. The movie is all about time travel and the 4th dimension. The book talks about a Living Receiver, the Manipulated Dead, Manipulated Living, etc..

The book explains that Donnie is what is known as a Living Receiver, chosen seemingly randomly, and that he has special 4th Dimensional powers (Those of increased strength (remember the axe in the Mongrel's bronze head?), supposed Mind Control (I'm not sure), telekinesis (moving things with the mind, which he uses to open the portal and send the engine back), and the power to conjure Fire and Water (The flooding and the burning of Jim Cunningham's house)). He uses these powers (some are very subtle in the movie) to basically save the universe.

What happens is that there is a rift in the 4th dimension. Where this rift comes from is questionable. Is it an act of God, does it just happen, etc? We don't know. All we know is that it happens, and that's where the engine comes from.

So now comes Frank (the rabbit). Frank is the Manipulated Dead (he has died, he has a bullet in his eye), who knows pretty much everything (cause he went through it all) and comes back in time to try to fix things and guide Donnie to repair this rift in the 4th dimension. He creates a Tangent Universe by waking up Donnie (Tangent Universe meaning that it is not the Primary Universe, it is a parallel universe not meant to exist). In fact, the whole movie is about the Tangent Universe, not the Primary Universe.

Now, Donnie is the hero in this story. Frank "saves" Donnie's life so Donnie can send the artifact (the fallen engine) back into the primary universe to fix the rip in the 4th dimension. If Donnie dies in the Tangent Universe, then the Tangent Universe is destroyed because of the rupture in the 4th dimension (the worm hole at the end, the sky opens up, etc) and the fact that Donnie cannot send the engine back to the primary universe. If the 4th dimension and the Tangent Universe are destroyed, then the Primary Universe is destroyed as well.

So why does Donnie have to send the engine back in time to the Primary Universe? To correct things. He was meant to die on October 2nd, 1988, when the movie begins, but Frank has changed this so he can fix the rupture in the 4th dimension. So Donnie has a choice. He accepts his fate and sends the engine back to the primary universe, saving everyone and repairing the rift in the 4th Dimension (but killing himself), or he decides not to do this, and everything is destroyed. The only thing left is him and Frank (remember the quote, we are all alone when we die and where Donnie says "I have to obey him...or I'll be all alone...").

Some have also argued that Gretchen is one of the Manipulated Dead, but I don't believe that. The rest of the people around him are Manipulated Living, and are more responsible for being barriers in his journey. Frank pretty much knows exactly what's going to happen, and since he's a Manipulated Dead, he's able to travel through time to save Donnie's life so he can fix the paradox. The whole reason the engine fell in the first place was a "glitch" in the universe. This was caused by a Tangent Universe that was created. It is said in the book that Time is a stable construct, but is not impenetrable, and that incidents can occur that create Tangent Universes.

Anyway, it's all way out there for sure, and most people will never get any of that without doing a little research. I haven't even touched on everything, but that's a little summary for those who don't understand the movie. Hehe....discuss.
                Last edited by BuddMan; 2 March 2003, 21:39.
                System Specs:

Comment

Sounds like someone was smoking something fierce when they wrote the book/movie.

I thought the movie was interesting, but didn't do a great job of conveying all the afore mentioned hubbub. THe ending did suck, though I did kind of pick out why that happened.

Jammrock
                  “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                  –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Jammrok's right, BuddMan explanation of the film is beoynd weird....
                    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

If you understood the movie, you'd know the ending is.....well, it has to happen. He laughs at the end because he knows that he has to die to save it all. He's enlightened, he has saved the universe. It's wierd, but that's what it is really about. If you ever listen to the director's comments about the movie, he talks about all of it.
                      System Specs:

Comment

You don't have to not understand the movie to agree that the ending sucked.

Comment

No, you have to understand the movie to know that the ending did not suck. What sucked about it? No one has said specifically what sucked about it, I mean come on. If you're gonna comment about the movie at least make half-intelligent remarks about it...
                          System Specs:

Comment

I tought the ending was pretty good.
                            Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                            Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                            Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

I was a little confused about the movie, but your expaination answers so many of the questions, and I am supprised I didn't see some of this when I saw it. I'm definately buying a DVD (instead of keeping the, er, backup copy I watched on someone elses my computer)
                              P=I^2*R
                              Antec SX1240|Asus A7V333WR|Athlon XP2200 1.80Ghz|512 MB PC2700|TDK VeloCD 24-10-40b|Samsung 16x DVD|SBAudigy2|ATI Radeon 8500 128MB|WinTV Theater|15/20/60GB Maxtor|3x 100GB WD100JB RAID0 on Promise Fastrak Lite|WinXP-Pro|Samsung SyncMaster 181T and 700p+|Watercooled

IBM Thinkpad T22|900Mhz|256MB|32GB|14.1TFT|Gentoo

Comment

Working...
                              X