PDA

View Full Version : Toy Freak!

Helevitia
1st March 2003, 19:45
Man, I can't stop buying toys to play with. I change hobbies faster than I'd really like. I can't believe I managed to go this long without a PDA. Everytime I think of buying one though I come to the realization that it is a glorified address and appt. book. The new one's are pretty darn cool with wireless built in.

Anyway, I just blew a grand on my real life truck and suddenly I am wanting to get back into RC cars. I stuck with paintball for 4 years until all my paintball buddies moved away. I won't even begin to tell you about the computer crack habit I have. You all know about that one yourselves already :p

So here it is, the new RC Nitro Monster Truck I will buy :D

http://www.hpiracing.com/kits/savage21/savage21-m.htm

Thing is 21" long and 18" wide!

Runs 30-35mph

Nearly industructible with a few upgrades. They all come pre-built now too so it's about 15 minutes and your off running it. Oh well, it's only money and you only live once :D I know Kruzin was into RC cards at one point, anybody else?

Dave

Helevitia
1st March 2003, 19:45
btw, check out the second video on that page! Look at the air that thing catches!

Kruzin
1st March 2003, 20:38
I was just telling Greebe the other night that I think I'm gonna get back into RCs this spring/summer with my kids (If I can afford it).
That one yer lookin at looks like quite a beast :p

KvHagedorn
2nd March 2003, 00:07
I think this (http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/rc/electric/116scaletankseries/56010.html) would be kinda cool. Not the same type of RC model, but fun to build, too.

Technoid
2nd March 2003, 00:48
And the battle system is the icing on the cake :
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/rc/electric/116scaletankseries/53447.html

Helevitia
2nd March 2003, 08:44
Hey, those tanks are cool. Would be fun to play with those as well. The recoil when firing is great!

Dave

Helevitia
2nd March 2003, 08:45
Originally posted by Kruzin
I was just telling Greebe the other night that I think I'm gonna get back into RCs this spring/summer with my kids (If I can afford it).
That one yer lookin at looks like quite a beast :p

What are you thinking of buying? And I hear ya on the "can I afford it" front. I am debating on if I should wait or not.

Dave

Tempest
2nd March 2003, 09:22
Wow, they're so cool nowadays... I had a couple of self-built R/C cars way back, namely the Marui Samurai (http://www.darrynsretrorc.rtox.com/projects/samurairestore.jpg) (my dad brought it from his trip to Japan, chain-driven 4WD, woo ;)) and later a Tamiya Thunder Shot (http://www.toyexchange.addr.com/tamcars08.html) (this time the 4WD was with a cardan). Kinda got tired of the hobby though, electronic speed adjusters, more powerful engines etc. took a lot of money even at that level...

Wonder when I'll start missing those days, I'm already drooling for those new Lego Technic kits they're selling :D

Kruzin
2nd March 2003, 10:13
Originally posted by Helevitia
What are you thinking of buying? And I hear ya on the "can I afford it" front. I am debating on if I should wait or not.

Dave

I don't know yet.
I have to look into what's going on in town these days for racing venues. All of the tracks I used to race at have closed down.
I've always preffered off-road. My last one was a heavily modified RC10-T.

Helevitia
2nd March 2003, 10:35
Well, I found www.rccaraction.com

Huge forums with tons of info. This is where I found most of my information.

Dave

Kruzin
2nd March 2003, 11:16
Cool site.
Unfortunatly, it confirmed what I thought.
Not many tracks near my place anymore.
Only 3 left (there was at one time about 8 different places)

The only one within an hours drive only does minis and micros on a carpet road course. Might be better though, as it's much cheaper, so I could more easily equip me and my kids...

Only one in town still does dirt off-road, and he's on the opposite side of town. I do know that guy, though. I was actually his second ever customer when he first opened up years ago. Spent many, many saturday nights at his track when I lived over there. He has a great track...imported his dirt from the mississippi river banks.

Another option is to get into gas road cars, and hook up with a buddy of mine who owns a portable track. It's a trailer that has all the barriers, and when unloaded it opens up into a drivers stand. The problem there is finding a place to set it up that has good pavement.

Maybe next weekend I'll take the kids out to check out that micro track...

Kruzin
2nd March 2003, 12:56
Well, I couldn't take waiting.
Took a drive to the carpet track, just to see what was what.
And now, I'm stoked :p
Talked to the owner of the store for about 45 min, and learned they are going to open an outdoor dirt track there this summer!

And the prices of the cars...DAMM!
They have gotten WAY cheaper than they where 8-10 years ago.
For $300-450 you can get a ready-to-run gas truck. Only other thing you need to buy is some batteries and fuel.
Ready-to-run mini carpet cars for $150-200.

I'll take the kids over there later this week, and see what kind of interest they show, and if they are into it, we'll start buying equipment :)

Helevitia
2nd March 2003, 13:18
Sweet! :) Yeah, I know what you mean about the prices. Take my truck for instance, the one I posted above I can get online for ~$400 and it's ready to go! I am leaving in 5 minutes with my family to go check out the stores in my area. There are about 3 good stores so we may be coming home with stuff today :D

I am getting them electric cars for now to see if they like it and then upgrade later if they get into. Even my wife wants in on it! I'll report back when I get back form the stores and let you knwo what happened :)

oh, btw, what do you mean by mini carpet cars? Like Radio Shack style rc cars? But you are saying $150-200, that's a pretty nice rc car for a beginner!

Dave

Kruzin
2nd March 2003, 13:22
No, not Radio Shack cars.
They are 1/12 and 1/24 scale, run on a carpet road course.

Dilitante1
2nd March 2003, 20:00
(spoken by the owner of 2 older R/C cars that need to be dusted off) :D

Helevitia
2nd March 2003, 21:18
OK, I went t a hobby store about 45 minutes from my house. It is HUGE! It has everything from rc cards, planes, and boats to dolls, trains, DND, models, blah blah blah...You get the idea. The store was a little messy becuase they had so much stuff it was crazy! I finally waded through the place and found the rc stuff in the back.

I quickly scanned the "featured" rc cars on the wall. After about 10 seconds I didn't see the truck I wanted. Then BAM! there it was, on the wall but I had overlooked it. I quickly asked the guy if he could get it down for me so I could look at it. Really, I wanted to hold onto the box so noone else could have it just in case :D I asked the guy if there were anymore and he told me I was holding the last one and they had sold two more that afternoon. Whew! So I asked him if he could hold onto it in the back for me while I walked around and help my son look for one.

Finally, my son agreed to the TEam Associated RC10T Electric. We got up to the counter and asked the guy to hook us up with all the necessities. I left $1000 broker :( Damn credit cards.

I haven't had a chance to start it up yet because it is too dark and the glow igniter needs to charger over night. My son's needs to be built so we are working on that. He is already fed up, hehe. He thought it would be fun :) He just wants to race it. Oh well, looks like next weekend for some real fun :)

Dave

Kruzin
2nd March 2003, 21:41
Well, have fun with it.
They had 4 or 5 of that model at the store I went to.
It's friggin HUGE :D

It'll be May before they open their dirt track, so I'll start the kids with the smaller (and much cheaper) carpet cars, and if they take a liking to it, maybe we'll move up to the big boys...

ZokesPro
3rd March 2003, 00:28
This is one bad ass R/C!! :up:

http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/new/snsub/front.jpg

Sethos
3rd March 2003, 12:55
Thing is 21" long and 18" wide!

Watch out for deer :)

~Sethos

ZokesPro
3rd March 2003, 13:14

Nearly industructible with a few upgrades. They all come pre-built now too so it's about 15 minutes and your off running it. Oh well, it's only money and you only live once :D I know Kruzin was into RC cards at one point, anybody else?

Dave

I am for sure!

So how much is that truck anyways? It's hella cool.

Helevitia
3rd March 2003, 13:44
Originally posted by ZokesPro
I am for sure!

So how much is that truck anyways? It's hella cool.

Guess you didn't read the entire thread :) I'll save you the time, about ~$450.

Dave

ZokesPro
3rd March 2003, 14:26
Guess you didn't read the entire thread :) I'll save you the time, about ~$450.

Dave

I went and read it all and I found where you mentioned that. Now I feel bad for asking cause I didn't read the whole thread.

But anyways, hope all goes well when you finally start that puppy up! I'd love to be there for that! :)

Lucky bastard. :p

P.S: I'd also LOVE to be able to assemble your son's vehicle, that's almost the best part!

Helevitia
3rd March 2003, 15:15
P.S: I'd also LOVE to be able to assemble your son's vehicle, that's almost the best part!

I agree, but I started thinking about all the times I will be taking it apart after breaking something and I suddenly realized that having it put together from the start wasn't so bad after all ;)

Dave

Helevitia
3rd March 2003, 15:16
btw, the money gets you everything, even the controller. So for about $30 more, you are ready to go.

Dave

ZokesPro
3rd March 2003, 15:53
btw, the money gets you everything, even the controller. So for about $30 more, you are ready to go.

Dave

HAHA! This time I wasn't caught off guard, I actually read that part on the link you posted! :p

I've always dreamed of having a gas powered R/C but they are too expensive for me. I hope you have lots of fun with yours. :)

Kruzin
3rd March 2003, 16:02
Gas RCs are much cheaper now than they used to be.
Ready to run kits go from $250-450, then about 30-45 for fuel, glowplug, batteries.
8 years ago, when I was heavy into RCs, it would cost 2-3x that much to get started, even with an electric.
I was shocked at how low the price has gotten on them.

gt40
3rd March 2003, 16:31
personally, been looking at r/c helicopters for a while, and possibly hooking up an r/c camera for some cool arial shots. Unfortunately the cost is upwards of $1000.
Anybody play with these? - I understand they a little more difficult to fly that airplanes.

As a side note, I convinced mama that a great winter project to help me bond with my oldest child was a go kart (hehe - It just happens to be big enough for me to drive also) - It has a full suspension front and rear to do some 'off roading' with and I'm gearing it down enough so that I can catch it if need be (about 10-15 mph) if the kid happens to go out of control.
I'm building right from home made designs (we'll see how long it survives hehe) and have even got my 7 year old doing some welding!

Kruzin
3rd March 2003, 16:34
RC choppers are more than a little more difficult than planes.
They are VERY difficult to fly. Everyone I know who has had one has crashed it, and spent hundreds rebuilding it, just to crash it again. Most of them gave up on the choppers after the second or third rebuild...

gt40
3rd March 2003, 17:55
I was afraid of that, however someone telling me I can't means that I will try to prove them wrong. I am stupid that way.
:rolleyes:

Kruzin
3rd March 2003, 18:18
I never said you couldn't do it.
I just said it is very difficult.
I'd suggest starting with a lower cost trainer, rather than going for a big expensive one to start with...

Helevitia
3rd March 2003, 21:48
I just finished breaking in the engine. So much to learn. I had to let it run idle for a full tank. Probably took 10-20 minutes. I then had to slowly increase the speed from idle to full throttle once. Man, it is freaking loud! I did all of this in my garage(no, it's not fully enclosed). It's simply too loud to do anything else :( So now i have to wait until tomorrow night to finish the third part to the break in which is to drive it in an oval for two full tanks of gas :rolleyes:

After that though...;) .....:D ..........:p It's balls out nitro action :D

I wish it was the weekend so I could tear it up. It will be a short evening tomorrow playing with it since it is almost dark when I get home.

Dave

gt40
4th March 2003, 07:16
I never said you couldn't do it.
I just said it is very difficult.
I'd suggest starting with a lower cost trainer, rather than going for a big expensive one to start with...

Thanks for the advice, sorry if I came across too seriously. :)

I'm going to maybe have a go at the copter next year. got enough projects at the moment.
Going to finish the go cart over the winter then I wanto spend as many weekends at the race track this summer eith my other toy.
:p

Any one seen the r/c hobby show on DIY? Lots of awsome ideas and tips. Especially love the episode on the r/c jet planes - 200 mph - WOW.

ZokesPro
4th March 2003, 07:20
Strap a mag light to your truck and you can play al night! :D

Kruzin
6th March 2003, 09:43
Well, I took the kids to the track last night to watch a little of the open practice.
My son was excited about it days ago, when I told him we where going to go.
My daughter was not so excited.

By the time we left, they where both VERY pumped about the whole idea. She wants a Viper bodied car, he hasn't decided which one he likes best yet (though he seemed to be leaning towards a mustang body he saw on the track) :D

Told them we'd start getting some cars in a few weeks.

Now they both want to go back Saturday night to watch the actual races :)

ZokesPro
6th March 2003, 10:05
http://www.rcnitro.com/rn/articles/images/artattack/2.jpghttp://www.rcnitro.com/rn/articles/images/artattack/3.jpg
http://www.rcnitro.com/rn/articles/images/artattack/7.jpg
http://www.rcnitro.com/rn/articles/images/artattack/4.jpghttp://www.rcnitro.com/rn/articles/images/artattack/5.jpg
http://www.rcnitro.com/rn/articles/art_attack2.asp

I have to have one! Finally an R/C vehicle made for winter!! :up:

@Kruzin: How old are your youngins?

gt40
6th March 2003, 10:07

Better buy one fast!:p

Kruzin
6th March 2003, 10:37
Zokes:
My daughter is 9, son is 11

Helevitia
6th March 2003, 10:47

Zokes, although I am very new to gas powered RC cars, I can tell you from the little I have read on it and the little I have played with my truck that it is VERY hard to start the engines in cold weather. Make sure you have a hair dryer ready to warm up the engine before you try to start it. BTW, that would be awesome to play with in the snow!

Dave

Helevitia
6th March 2003, 10:49
Well, I took the kids to the track last night to watch a little of the open practice.
My son was excited about it days ago, when I told him we where going to go.
My daughter was not so excited.

By the time we left, they where both VERY pumped about the whole idea. She wants a Viper bodied car, he hasn't decided which one he likes best yet (though he seemed to be leaning towards a mustang body he saw on the track) :D

Told them we'd start getting some cars in a few weeks.

Now they both want to go back Saturday night to watch the actual races :)

hehe, nothing like some first hand watching get the yougins excited :D I just found the closest local track(about 40 minutes from my house) for racing RC cars every Saturday. I'll have to go check it out. Let us know what you end up with in a few weeks.

Dave

ZokesPro
6th March 2003, 11:09
Zokes:
My daughter is 9, son is 11

That's cool that they are both interested in R/C's at such a young age, plus you get to spend some quality time with them too! Sounds like you guys have a lot of good times ahead of you. :)

Kruzin
6th March 2003, 14:48
That's cool that they are both interested in R/C's at such a young age, plus you get to spend some quality time with them too! Sounds like you guys have a lot of good times ahead of you. :)

Well, most of the kids that where there practicing last night where in the same age bracket, and my kids noticed that. They had a blast track marshalling for those practicing (flipping the cars back over when the drivers flipped em).
And yea, I think that it will be a good chance for the 3 of us to do something we all enjoy. I sold all my RC stuff when my son was about 1 or 2, and have missed it terribly. A cousin of mine gave my boy one of those super micro RCs (about 1.5" long) for xmas, and he plays with it every day, and loves it, which got me thinkin we should all get into the real thing :)

gt40
6th March 2003, 15:37
I gave my daughters both one of those little micro racers. And they both had a great deal of fun with them - for about a week, now I seem to be the only one playing wth them.

on the other hand my oldest LOVES to sit and watch NHRA or NASCAR on sundays, and really enjoys coming to the the drag strip with me and watching me race. She also loves to sit and hand me tools while I'm wrenching.

It really makes me feel proud, but I don't know what I would have done if I had a son and he wanted to take ballet! :D

Anyway I'd love to see some pics of the R/C vehicles when you get them, especialy any 'helis'.:)