Got a R9700 today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a R9700 today

After seing a Powercolor 9700 non-pro roughly at the same price as a regular 9500 pro I did a bit of research - rage3d foruns may be kind of a jungle, but they do have lots of valuable information.

I went for it. Instalation was a breeze. I Did the warp11 bios flash trick - for those not familiar with ATI hacks, non-pro 9700´s have locked bios, preventing any sort of overclocking. Fortunatly some guy found how to hack it. It´s now clocked at 320/292 from 275/270. A pro´s default clocks are 320/310, the memory handicap was expected as it has 3.3ns ram instead of the 2.8 found on pro cards.

And yes, it´s as good as they say.
    Catalyst 3.1 drivers seem very mature to me. Performance skyrocketed, specially on higher resolutions or with AA/aniso. On the latest settings it easily doubles my previous GF4 Ti framerates. It´s really nice to play UT2003 at 1024x768 4xAA 16xAniso. The GF4 crawled with 2x AA/2x Aniso.

2d quality was a surprise, definitly much sharper than the Ti4400... Again, I was surprised, specially because Powercolor isn´t a premium brand.
    Last edited by Nuno; 1 March 2003, 18:09.

Really? cool. Power Color and 2D. That's just shocking

that's good news. congrats on ur new buy

Comment

Another interesting fact was the significant noise reduction on my case. I never noticed the GF4 card actually made so much noise! Much quieter now.

Anyway, highly recomended, despite R350 being around the corner. R350 will be a expensive high-end card, RV350 being the budget card that probably will perform slower than previous generation card (R9000/8500 anyone?).

And definitly recomended over any R9500 card. 256-bit bus is really worth it.

Comment

glad you like it, I really love my 9700. The raw power is amazing! Teh fun thing to do is run slighly older games with 6xAA and 16xAF. They look great.
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

You should have gotten an AIW.
          System Specs:
          Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
          May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
          Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
          And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
          just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
          For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

Does the AIW have the metal shim between the VPU base and heatsink ?

Comment

Got AIW 8500 at the moment, its really cool. If the 9700AIW had 2 DVI/VGA outs i would have gotten it by now, but it only has 1 DVI and one TV out, like mine. I will wait till they change that before i get my next AIW

hopefully they have triplehead and TV out by then. Although a Pitou Marvel would be nice, too

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral
                Does the AIW have the metal shim between the VPU base and heatsink ?
                Yeah, and mine has been getting too hot. I'm about to remove it and use some Artic Alumina to paste the heatsink directly on the VPU. However, I also need to get some ariflow in my case. There is none at all because I am watercooling, but the video card is the only thing I am not watercooling (damn TV tuner in the way).
                System Specs:
                Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Comment

AIW are cool, but it was mainly a budget oriented purchase. AIW are terribly expensive, at least over here.

Comment

How is it with TV Out? I had 8500 with TV Out (PAL), Theater mode (aka DVDMax) was with black borders, when I enabled overscan mode in registry, I got full screen image on TV, but slightly stretched vertically.. this was unacceptable!

Comment

To be honest I haven´t tried TV-out yet.

Comment

I have a 32" HDTV, and the 9700 AIW looks pretty good but kinda fuzzy at the default resolutions. If I used powerstrip to make some custom resolutions, it would pretty damn good. In the future after I upgrade my main system, I'm gonna use the AIW card and make a HTPC computer out of it.
                        System Specs:

Comment

I was told by some ATI technician, this image deformation is a hardware limitation of Rage Theatre chip and that is the reason, why is TV Out overscan disabled in the drivers..

9700 should use Rage Theatre 2 chip, maybe it is fixed..

Comment

Originally posted by prophet
                            I was told by some ATI technician, this image deformation is a hardware limitation of Rage Theatre chip and that is the reason, why is TV Out overscan disabled in the drivers..

9700 should use Rage Theatre 2 chip, maybe it is fixed..
                            There's no rage theater chip on the 9700 boards. All of the ramdac's and analog converters are built on chip, if I'm not misstaken.

Comment

Originally posted by Novdid
                              There's no rage theater chip on the 9700 boards. All of the ramdac's and analog converters are built on chip, if I'm not misstaken.
                              You are right there Novdid

Comment

Working...
                              X