Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Norton Ghost 2003 is compatible with LF-D311 drives!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norton Ghost 2003 is compatible with LF-D311 drives!

Well sort of. It will write to the DVD-R medium, but not the DVD-RAM.

While I am still revved up about getting the whole OS ghosted onto 1 DVD, I would prefer the ability to overwrite the medium in the future as my system is updated/upgraded.

I sent an email off to Symantec to see if they will include support for the DVD-RAM in the future. I won't hold my breath on this since I don't see support for any of the RW formats either.

The link to the compatibility page is here
    Perspective cannot be taught. It must be learned.

still, this is a step in a much needed direction. being able to image an OS install along with the primary core of applications/drivers is awesome.

I don't feel that "save points" and what not are a substitute for a fresh image of an install...

CEM
    System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

still, this is a step in a much needed direction. being able to image an OS install along with the primary core of applications/drivers is awesome.
      Agreed. Once DVD-R gets down to the price point of CD-Rs I will not mind having to burn a new disc for every change in the OS.

But it would be nice to just "reburn" the same disc over and over.

Comment

.... like it does on DVD+RW (tested) and DVD-RW (not yet tested).

If you read "between the lines", you'll find proof on that on that very same link you just gave : HP 100i is supported, and that one only can do +RW, much to the dismay of early customers of HP.

The indication of the format is somewhat unclear : I suspect it doesn't mean to say "just +R/-R" but just indicates the overal standard of the stated writer : otherwise there's no point in specifically stating that a couple of the listed writers (like the DRU) does _not_ support -RW at this time, no ?

Take Care,
        Kris
        Last edited by Kris1; 1 March 2003, 00:16.

Comment

This IS great!
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Progress update!

The 2003 version of Ghost works slicker than snot with DVD-R material. No more creating a Ghost floppy. Just start the program, ID what you want ghosted, select the backup device, and the program reboots the machine into ghost (From a temporary partition) and performs the deed. When it's done the machine will reload Windows and you are ready to go.

Re-installing the system from CD-R/DVD-R is dead easy also since all the files needed to boot the system are on the Ghosted media you create. I will be verifying this in the next day or 2.

Unfortunately, the ability to do DVD-RAM doesn't look to good. Symantec's tech support "thinks" it will work, but can't give any direct answers how to do it. I checked the Panasonic site for DOS drivers and could not find any.

All in all I am still pleased that I can ghost my system to a single DVD and no longer have to worry about those fragile 3.5 floppies.

So I will give this development a half-way (Voice of Homer S.) WOO-HOOH!

Comment

Working...
            X