?Hard Drive suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ?Hard Drive suggestions?

Ok, so I had this old 10 gig hard drive that I was gonna use in this puter I build over the weekend for fun. When I put it it I was going to re-partation it...ha

I used fdisk and it wouldn't allow me to modify any of the partations. I tried to remove a logical drive already on there and it would allow me to delete it but then automatically recreated it as soon as i was done.

Then I said ok well I can live with one partation I guess, so I'll just format...nay says the computer invalad media type

In a last desperate attempt at midnight just before I went to bed i got a low level format utility, only it too failed.

Now then the drive itself is working at least mechanically speaking, it just isn't allowing the modification of data in any way...read/write/or errase...

So now my question is, having tried all of that, is there anything that I A) have done wrong in my process, or B) that anyone can suggest to try or do I just have to throw a new drive in there (this is seeming more and more appealing by the moment...)

Thanx a ton,

~Sethos
    "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Hmmm...doesn't look like you've done anything wrong, per say. I'd say launch and Win2k or WinXP CD (the OS installer CD) and try formatting the drive from the OS install, or run Recovery Console on it and use the FIXMBR and CHKDSK /P on it.

If that doesn't work I would say the read/write head is busted, from the info you've given me. That or some component damage... anywho, as for replacement drives:

Raw speed: Western Digital SE series HDD's. 7200 RPM, 8 MB cache

Budget drive: Maxtor. Not a fan of them personally, but know many who like them a lot.

Quiet drive: Seagates Baracuda IV or V. Good speed, silent as can be.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I concur with Jammrock, but want to add the following bit of information.

WD's quality control is now virtually nonexistant. I've now sent back TWO separate 120GB SE (8mb cache) drives. One died shortly after formatting, making "beep beep CLUNK" noises.

The other runs fine, hasn't lost any data, but alternates between FAST AS GREASED LIGHTNING (50mb/sec. SUSTAINED transfers) and "opening a folder takes 30 seconds". Drags the whole machine down with it. Very frustrating.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

I have nothing but the best experience with Seagate drives, although I am dissapointed with their move to a 1 year warranty.

You may want to look at Samsung for the longer warranty...
        Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Re: ?Hard Drive suggestions?

Originally posted by Sethos
          Ok, so I had this old 10 gig hard drive that I was gonna use in this puter I build over the weekend for fun. When I put it it I was going to re-partation it...ha

I used fdisk and it wouldn't allow me to modify any of the partations. I tried to remove a logical drive already on there and it would allow me to delete it but then automatically recreated it as soon as i was done.

Then I said ok well I can live with one partation I guess, so I'll just format...nay says the computer invalad media type

In a last desperate attempt at midnight just before I went to bed i got a low level format utility, only it too failed.

Now then the drive itself is working at least mechanically speaking, it just isn't allowing the modification of data in any way...read/write/or errase...

So now my question is, having tried all of that, is there anything that I A) have done wrong in my process, or B) that anyone can suggest to try or do I just have to throw a new drive in there (this is seeming more and more appealing by the moment...)

Thanx a ton,

~Sethos
          Try it with pqmagic. Alternatively see if theres a disk Utiltity downloadable from the man web site.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
          X