Motherboard suggestions needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motherboard suggestions needed

Which P4 motherboard would you guys recommend? Until now I've always been going with the Asus boards, but it seems like the MSI boards have been getting a lot of praise....

I'm still kinda hooked on the Shuttle systems, but only for looks, and I'm considering just getting a new nice lookign Midi tower instead.. maybe one of the Nexus iStyle cases.

But which motherboard should I get?
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

You might not have heard of Albatron, this is new (6 moons) company, formed by ex-employees of Gigabyte.

I found it VERY VERY good, good clocking good price good functionality good performance.

You can of course always go the MSI route, the new revision of 845PE Max2 ver 2.0 is quite good.

Check out www.mbreview.com
    P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
    Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
    And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

The Asus P4PE is good and stable, if you still want to stick with Asus.

Comment

But lately there are problems with many Asus boards... namely P4S8X and the n-force one (and some more I can't remember).

People seems to start losing confidence...

The P4PE seems alright though.
        And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Originally posted by Novdid
          The Asus P4PE is good and stable, if you still want to stick with Asus.
          Well I'm not a religious fanatic or anything, so if there is something else worth trying I thought I'd give it a shot...
          If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

Depends on what's available in your country
            When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Well looking around, I'm pretty sure those Albatron boards that WyWYWyWY mentioned are not available anywhere here.

But it's not like i*m in a 3rd worl country you know Any of the big brands, and also a bunch of companies I never even heard of before I started looking around.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris B
                But it's not like i*m in a 3rd worl country you know
                Yes I know, but neithers the UK and there's still brands we can't get here
                When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Taz
                  Yes I know, but neithers the UK and there's still brands we can't get here
                  Namely Iwill.
                  Oh and Magic-pro if you care.

Comment

Actually, I'm a big fan of ASUS latest P4 offering based on the SiS chipsets. Good stuff.

- Gurm
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

I think Gurm is referring to their SIS655 solution, because the P4S8X has a number of issues that make that board hard to recommend...
                      Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Originally posted by K6-III
                        I think Gurm is referring to their SIS655 solution, because the P4S8X has a number of issues that make that board hard to recommend...
                        Think so too.
                        Because P4S8X is really crap.

Comment

heh. P4S8X. last time i asked for recommendation

But generally speaking their Intel offerings are rock solid, especially the P2B.

P4T533-C is also high quality too. Even when you hold it, you know ur holding a high quality product.

Comment

Forgive my ignorance but here's another question...

Both the Asus P4PE and the MSI 845PE Max2 both support AGP x4. Now the graphic cards I've been looking at all seem to be AGP x8.... that shouldn't matter right!?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris B
                              Forgive my ignorance but here's another question...

Both the Asus P4PE and the MSI 845PE Max2 both support AGP x4. Now the graphic cards I've been looking at all seem to be AGP x8.... that shouldn't matter right!?
                              Nope anyway you won't notice much differance.
                              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                              X