getting windows to boot linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting windows to boot linux

i haqve had a copy of red hat linux running on my machine but then instaled XP alongside it and it overwrote the red hat boot loader meaning i can no longer access the linux partition, does anybody know of a way which i can get these 2 to dual boot without reinstalling either of them as i cant remember how i got linux to work with my raid 0 promise motherboard chip and cant risk losing my windows data now, many thanks
    is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
    Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

I'm trying to get linux to boot from a third hard drive by adding it to winxp boot menu but no go. The drive itself has all the boot information and is active and I can boot it from floppy.
    Tried bootpart and another trick but I get invalid drive.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

how do you boot from a floppy then?

Comment

How about just picking your drive in the BIOS????
        Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

to clarify i mean where to i get and how do i format the boot floppy.

Comment

Borat, search over the net for a proggy called MBM. It's the best boot manager ever.
            Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

The best boot manager that I've found is removable boot drives.
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

installed on my HTPC like that, works like a charm with Windows XP and Gentoo Linux with grub

Comment

PIT it has to be a primary partion to be bootable.

LILO or whatever bootloader RH uses can be installed over the top of the XP loader and all should be still okay.

Other Bootmangers will work but I have always been quite happy with LILO.

Comment

Originally posted by borat
                    how do you boot from a floppy then?
                    No idea it works thats why I'm baffled.
                    I've done the samething at work in the past and managed to manually configure the win2k startup menu.
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman
                      PIT it has to be a primary partion to be bootable.

LILO or whatever bootloader RH uses can be installed over the top of the XP loader and all should be still okay.

Other Bootmangers will work but I have always been quite happy with LILO.

It is a primary partition. I don't like using lilo becuase if thedrive that has Linux goes down and dies you can't at all. You just get a screen full of Lilo Lilo etc scrolling for ever.
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I have the boot loader on separate partition to both linux and windows , but on the same drive.

Having a boot floppy is good insurance because I can reinstall lilo in a minute when you reinstall windows(since it always overwrites the boot sector on install)

I upgrade linux/windows in place using this config with no problems.

Using the bios to select your boot drive is cool if your OS's are on separate drives.

Comment

Firstly, Grub (or was it Lilo?) can be installed under Windows I think, I remember reading something about this on a Linux forum.

Secondly, to use XP boot loader... search for bootpart It is your friend.
                          P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                          Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                          And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Originally posted by WyWyWyWy
                            Firstly, Grub (or was it Lilo?) can be installed under Windows I think, I remember reading something about this on a Linux forum.

Secondly, to use XP boot loader... search for bootpart It is your friend.
                            Yup but when bootpart doesn't work.
                            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

What do you mean doesn't work?
                              P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                              Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                              And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Working...
                              X