RAM upgrade and video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM upgrade and video

I plan to upgrade the existing 64 MB SDRAM-PC 100 in my computer with an extra 64 MB SDRAM-PC 133 (133 regarding a later upgrade of the motherboard and cpu)
    Usually, a RAM upgrade is a simple procedure. The only limitation I know is that RAM with gold-contacts can't be put in tined-sockets and vice versa.
    But I've read somewhere that different memory chips, ie from different manufacturer, can produce troubles in video processing.

My system is: K6/2-400 on a PA-2013 motherboard, 6.4 + 15.3 GB HDD and Marvel G400.

Any advice, please.

Fred H

--------------------------
    "...as young I believed, I haven't get enough money,
    as old I know it..." (free transl.)
    It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
    ------------------------------------------------

Fred, I can't help you with your RAM question, but I thought I'd take a crack at better translating the saying at the end of your post. Was this originally in Swedish?

---------------------------------------------

When I was young, I believed I didn't have enough money. Now that I'm old I know it.

Comment

Hello Fred H,

What kind of trouble in video processing ?

-Asterix

Comment

Patrick,
        it's Oscar Wilde. I've read it in swedish and tried to translate back to english.
        What a mistake, to translate O.W.
        I am sorry,

Asterix,
        I just wonder if I can mix different SDRAM.
        I have 64 SDRAM PC100 now, and will install extra 64 MB SDRAM PC133.

Fred H

Comment

The 133/100 matching shouldn't matter if the SDRAM is from the same manufacturer. Many motherboards cannot handle RAM from different manufacturers. They'll run but you'll get odd installed ram values. I had 3 different types of 128s (4 total) installed on a Gigabyte 6BA(?) and it said it only had 511 when you go to Control Panel. Try it out and if it's poopy, take it back and ask for a different brand. Or see if you can trade your 64 towards the purchase of a single 128. The absence of that extra "mechanical" connection can provide you with years of hair free clenched fists...

------------------
          Deep is not the root word of depression.
          Deep is not the root word of depression.

Comment

Thanks, Sylliname.
            It is exactly what I suspected. That is why it is risky to buy SDRAM by post order.
            Anyway, I have the chance to try out any new memos I'll buy and I'll keep in mind your advice. Thanks.

Fred H

[This message has been edited by Fred H (edited 07 September 2000).]

Comment

Working...
            X