Rebuild of PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuild of PC

My PC is totally screwed up (from a GFX performance point of view), so I am gonna rebuild it. I will introduce a new part (Seagate 15K.3 18Gb) cause I do not dare to format my current Atlas 10K 9gb until I got it all working OK (and backing-up/restoring) or using restore points with Me never works with me.

So when the drive arrives, I'll boot from floppy and build it again. I am wondering what the right sequence is, given that I need to install the following:
    1. Dirvers for Radeon 9000 128Mb.
    2. Via4in1 Hyperion 4.45
    3. DiretX 9 (or 8.1)

What is the right sequence? The l8est Radeon drivers appear to require to have Dx8 (or Dx9) installed prior to installing the drivers, which I do not understand. So, is there a preferred sequence?
    Umf

P.S. This all started when trying to upgrade to Dx9 and catalyst 3.1. The setup for them drivers ALWAYS crash with me. Anyone had this as well?
    P.P.S. Any preference for Dx8.1 or Dx9?
    3P.S. Ever since I upgraded drivers, the only game I play (fighter ace) is slide showing to a really unplayable extent. Even at 800x600x16, na AA, AF, Smoothvision, Trueform and in the game all details at lowest. AGP aperture has been at both 64Mb and 128Mb
    4P.S. P3-700@840Mhz, 384Mb ram, MSI6309 (ver 1, the apollo 133A chipset)

HEEEEEELP pretty pls
    Umf
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Forget the Via crap bar the agp driver.
    I would go
    1) AGP driver.
    2) Radeon Drivers works with either dx8 or 9
    3) Dx 9.

If you're using 98 or ME you may get a crash with the lastest drivers. Ikernal or inf error. Very hard then to get the damn things to install.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Yep, got them both, the Ikernel and the infsetup errors. It's a known problem then? (I'm indeed using Me)
      As a last resort I tried the Omega (?) drivers, and they at least installed like a charm, but it did not help me. I guess installing/uninstalling, running WMe setup (to get back to DX7) and installing some more can trash my system, right?
      Umf
      P.S. I don't think the sequence will work as you state it. The install prog of the radeon drivers stated they need directx 8 (or 8.1 can't remember) to install.
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

You can get by without dx8 as I've done it and then upgraded after.
        I suggest you clean out all the old ATI driver files. Theres a uninstaller hiding somewhere on driver heaven and that will remove some but not all of the files. Run regcleaner and remove all the ATI entries from the registry using regcleaner. Delete any left ati folders.
        Run regedit and drop down to enum section of the registry and scroll through the entries (I can't check which I'm at work now) and remove any Ati entries left.
        Set the card to standard vga and reboot.
        Run the setup program again. It will probably crash again and if you're lucky like me it will have installed the primery controller. Close the non responding setup program and update manually. Reboot and setup up your control panel.
        Of course you can miss out the last step and use Omega drivers if they install correctly.
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Thx PIT, will try. Can't say I understand anything about the registry or how to work with it, so I am a bit scarred (sp?) doing anything with it.
          I have to say, I am somewhat dissapointed about all the troubles I am having. I am even wondering whether I should stick with the pre-catalyst 3.0 drivers. They seemed to work allright.
          Umf

Comment

anal but it works

The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy [MU]
              anal but it works

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...eadid=33656771
              Not always I'm afraid but it's a good starting point.
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Right back in Windoze ME.
                The reg keys I had to blitz.

HKey_Local_Machine

Enum

Ven_1002&dev_dev_4e44&subsys_40121458&rev_00

and

Ven_1002&dev_dev_4e64&subsys_40131458&rev_00

If you bury down you see referances to the radeon 9700.

These didn't appear to be removed when uninstalling the drivers or using the driver cleaner. Removing them helped to get the new drivers installed.
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                X