MS supports DVD+R(W)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS supports DVD+R(W)

The DVD+RW Alliance announced late Monday that Microsoft had joined its ranks, adding that the software giant will also have a seat on its policy-setting team with representatives from Dell Computer, Hewlett-Packard, Mitsubishi Chemical/Verbatim, Philips, Ricoh, Sony, Thomson and Yamaha. The DVD+RW Alliance is a group of companies that promotes and develops the DVD+RW format.

Microsoft's more active role in the DVD+RW format could prove important in determining the dominant format in a long-running battle for market share.
    + is winning some more ground compared to -
    no matrox, no matroxusers.

I'd guess thats because DVD+RW allows random read and write meaning you should be able to do the drag and drop file copying thing.

DVD+RW supports defect management in the drive and background media formatting. That's important for Mt. Rainier support (i.e. DVD+MRW).
    Last edited by R.Carter; 25 February 2003, 14:09.

Comment

yea... that's the thing i like about + over - medias. it's definitely a big plus

Comment

Originally posted by R.Carter
        I'd guess thats because DVD+RW allows random read and write meaning you should be able to do the drag and drop file copying thing.

DVD+RW supports defect management in the drive and background media formatting. That's important for Mt. Rainier support (i.e. DVD+MRW).
        The defect management/logical format in +RW is essentially the same as that in M.
        MURC COC Minister of Wierd Confusion (MWC)

Comment

1. This is old news

2. Microsoft is late in supporting DRAG-AND-DROP file operations for DVD+RW; it isn't scheduled to happen until the so-called "Longhorn" version of Windows ships

3. Microsoft - for those of you who don't know any better - *already* supports DRAG-AND-DROP file operations for the existing DVD FORUM approved DVD-RAM format.

In addition, DVD-RAM already supports defect management and has done so for years.

Jerry Jones
          I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!
          Last edited by Jerry Jones; 26 February 2003, 14:13.

Comment

I was under the impression that DVD-RAM was a real rewritable media without the limitations of the optical RW formats, so the OS can quite happily treat it as a removable hard drive without any worry.
            Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Defect managment. Not really going to help much when you can only overwrite each sector 10 times however (the number picked as realistic for cheap CD media & cheap drive, and the anticipated for DVD+RW. -RW is not much better. -RAM I sadly do not have tested figures for. If I get them, I'll post them)
              MURC COC Minister of Wierd Confusion (MWC)

Comment

Yes, DVD-RAM was the first re-writable media on the market.

DVD-RAM uses a cartridge / caddy system. As you say it supports random read and write as well as defect management. So Microsoft could supports Mt. Rainier features for it.

One issue with DVD-RAM media is it's the least compatible with DVD-ROM drives and standalone DVD Players. So DVD-RAM discs will most likely only be readable in other DVD-RAM drives.

DVD-RAM media is stated to be overwritten 100,000 times which is a lot better than the 1,000 times stated for DVD-RW and DVD+RW. Of course, DVD-RAM media is also more expensive than the other formats.
                Last edited by R.Carter; 27 February 2003, 07:00.

Comment

Working...
                X